Advice needed on getting ripped off

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
I also think you should warn people here about which ad you answered. People think LE reads this site and they probably do. Perhaps they will use the lead to do something.

The ad was for North NJ, I doubt anyone of you will be checking it. And it's already gone, but here's the number they used:
201-852-4253
So I think I might already know the answer to this, but... you guys ever get even? Not personally, of course. But would something like, say, an anonymous tip to LE do the trick? Or is it too risky?

Not foolproof but when I go out to rent some friendship whether an AMP, CL or on the street I:

bring only my drivers license (if it's a sting you need ID or you will wait in lockup until someone brings it to show who you are). It is not in my wallet.

only have a burner phone

only bring the cash I need for the rent

only bring a single car key - no fob, other keys attached (no fob even with sw - had one pull key out of ignition, jump out of the car and threaten to throw it down a storm drain if I didn't give her cash.)

park my car away from the room - if a sw "one crime at a time" genius rule applies- there is nothing illegal in my car, everything with my car is up to code, obey all traffic laws and if the girl has an open container she has to leave it outside the car to pickup later when I drop her off. If you are going to have a baseball bat in your trunk also have an old mitt and baseball with it. I have what is known as an entrenching tool (with wooden handle and fold away pick attachment - those guys who were in the service long ago know what I am talking about).

bring the condoms I prefer

These guys aren't too smart as they are going to meet up with the wrong type of guy who is going to come back to the room and somebody is going to get hurt

ps If you are really paranoid (and just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you) you can have a car key in a secret place on the outside of your car and lock the car doors.

Those are some good tips. Not too sure on the fighting back part... they outnumbered me quite a bit. But that other stuff seems quite solid.

It feels good to talk about it. This is the first time this has happened to me, and I was pretty shaken up for the rest of the day, but I'm calming down a bit more with each passing day.

THREATS - they took your picture, picture of your driver license (presumably), and picture of your license plate. These are threats: we know who you are and where you live ... so don't get cute. We can come get you. I assume they had weapons? You did not specify.

There are two possible ways to get even, but both are probably not worth your effort and sanity (which is exactly what they are banking on).

1. Go to a detective and come clean about exactly what happened. Being that you did not officially pay for sex, you should not be held accountable. They then may set up a sting to get these guys.
2. Hire some pro(s) to go in there and show them the light of day. But this will most likely end in bloodshed so obviously not a preferable idea.

Those are some good tips. Not too sure on the fighting back part... they outnumbered me quite a bit. But that other stuff seems quite solid.

It feels good to talk about it. This is the first time this has happened to me, and I was pretty shaken up for the rest of the day, but I'm calming down a bit more with each passing day.
Even with only one of them I never would fight back (unless my family or myself is cornered)- my life and my teeth and face are not worth something I can easily replace such as some money. The stuff I have in my car trunk for self defense and not for offense.

You could go to a detective at the local precinct pose a "hypothetical question " where you hypothetically explain all the circumstances in detail and ask if that person this happened to come forward would there be any legal ramifications to him or would they just go after the bad guys before the same thing happens to someone else as sometimes a robbery goes bad and someone gets really hurt.

I would like to think I would do this - but who knows what one would do.

I didn't want any trouble, so I tried not to agitate them. So I don't know if they were armed. And being I'd rather avoid getting involved with LE personally, I think I'll pass it up.
Without going into too much further detail, I work in a very popular, wide spread, recognizable retail store, and I could see when I got back to my car that they saw my work clothes. Basically, you could take a look at those clothes and assume I don't make much money. So I would guess that alone would drive the point home that I'm not worth the time or effort. I'm not worried about them finding out where I work, because like I said: these stores are everywhere. They could check dozens around the area and never find me.
If they also did take a pic of my license, then they wouldn't even have my right address, as I moved some time back and haven't gotten around to legally changing it.
And my photo, well, fuck all that will do... I don't involve myself with social media. My pictures aren't anywhere that will matter.

I need to relax. They pretty much have nothing on me, right? I'm good. It's all good.

I didn't want any trouble, so I tried not to agitate them. So I don't know if they were armed. And being I'd rather avoid getting involved with LE personally, I think I'll pass it up.
Without going into too much further detail, I work in a very popular, wide spread, recognizable retail store, and I could see when I got back to my car that they saw my work clothes. Basically, you could take a look at those clothes and assume I don't make much money. So I would guess that alone would drive the point home that I'm not worth the time or effort. I'm not worried about them finding out where I work, because like I said: these stores are everywhere. They could check dozens around the area and never find me.
If they also did take a pic of my license, then they wouldn't even have my right address, as I moved some time back and haven't gotten around to legally changing it.
And my photo, well, fuck all that will do... I don't involve myself with social media. My pictures aren't anywhere that will matter.

I need to relax. They pretty much have nothing on me, right? I'm good. It's all good.
Stop worrying and move on. If they were smart they wouldn't be selling ass and robbing people. Thats lazy people crime. They probably already forgot about you, so forget them.

NC
I'd forget it and move on. Not worth the big problems.
The easiest thing to do may be to do as you suggest. I'm not sure what I would do - probably just move on. But sometimes things like this just gnaw at you mentally and you can only clear it out if you take some action.

There is little doubt in my mind that idiots like this will eventually either end up in jail or pull their stunt on the wrong guy who will come back and ruin their day.

I don't see how anyone can prevent this from happening - the only thing you can do is minimize your losses by limiting the amount they can take by not having more on you than you need for what you intended to do.

Mr. Wiggley

But what do I know I'm a bad guy
As someone that has been robbed a couple of times, the best I could do was ruin someone's lawn with my car. At the end of the day it's best to charge it up to lesson learned. Sorry you went through that.