Abbreviated MLB season

Can you guys explain why the Yanks are going to court to stop MLB from showing emails that were sent to the Yanks? Supposedly Yanks cheated more than Steve thinks as he said it was nothing. If they dont have anything to hide, whats the big deal?
I am more curious as I have not followed the story.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Can you guys explain why the Yanks are going to court to stop MLB from showing emails that were sent to the Yanks? Supposedly Yanks cheated more than Steve thinks as he said it was nothing. If they dont have anything to hide, whats the big deal?
I am more curious as I have not followed the story.
First I'm hearing this. Where did you read this?

Online somewhere. Wasn't big news, but it said its coming out, so I figured you guys heard of it. i will try to look it up more. It said Yanks were going to court to keep emails from MLB and the Yanks, sealed so to not make them public.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Online somewhere. Wasn't big news, but it said its coming out, so I figured you guys heard of it. i will try to look it up more. It said Yanks were going to court to keep emails from MLB and the Yanks, sealed so to not make them public.
Okay, BTW good to see you back. I can use the help.

Thanks. Good to be back. I was basically locked out of my office for 3 months, and I only go on UG at my office, which I am at 6 to 7 days a week. I hope you are doing well.

The Yankees might be in sign-stealing trouble
One of the putative class action lawsuits arising from the sign-stealing scandal has taken an unexpected turn
By Sheryl Ring, Esq.@Ring_Sheryl Jun 17, 2020, 9:00am EDT
Share this story
Vincent Carchietta-USA TODAY Sports
Back in February, I wrote that a pair of pending consumer putative class actions against Major League Baseball and the Astros arising from the sign-stealing scandals of the past few years could be problematic for the league. In those suits, plaintiffs alleged that the sign-stealing corrupted their fantasy baseball games, and they lost money as a result.
In an intriguing twist, the first major loss in one of those suits went to the New York Yankees, a team which wasn’t originally considered to be stealing signs with impunity in the same way as the Astros and Red Sox.
Instead, as Pete Caldera reports, the Yankees are suddenly at the center of a legal drama surrounding a disciplinary letter sent by the league to the Bronx Bombers in 2017.
A current legal drama is brewing, as reported by The Athletic, related to the 2017 incident where the Boston Red Sox were fined by MLB for use of an Apple Watch to relay Yankees signs.
At the time, the Yankees were cited only for misuse of a dugout phone during a prior series (the Red Sox had countered that the Yanks had a YES Network camera aimed at their dugout). With this ruling, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred found the Yankees committed a technical violation, not a direct violation. The commissioner also said Boston’s claim about the YES Network camera was lacking sufficient evidence.
On Friday, U.S. District Court Judge Jed Rakoff ruled that a letter sent by Manfred to the Yankees concerning findings of that 2017 incident, should be unsealed. The plaintiffs reportedly argue the letter will reveal more serious infractions by the Yankees than previously stated. MLB had designated the letter as highly confidential under a court’s protective order.​
The Yankees have already appealed the ruling, citing potential reputational damage to the team and several employees — a rationale which has understandably raised eyebrows across the legal world. After all, if the infractions cited by Manfred were as minor as originally claimed, why are the Yankees so reticent to turn the letter over?
On one hand, the New York Post seems to think the contents of the letter aren’t much of a big deal, as former Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira already disclosed what kind of sign stealing the letter discussed.
Teixeira said the Yankees used modern technology for “old-school” benefits. The former first baseman, who played in pinstripes from 2009-2016, said a few Yankees players and coaches used replay monitors to decipher a sequence or indicator and would share it with teammates, though not in real time. When a runner would get to second base, he was told to check if the catcher was keeping the same signs, and if he was, the runner could then alert the hitter.
“This is what every team has done over the past few years with video rooms being close to the dugout and [it is] not against the rules,” Teixiera said.​
On the other hand, whilst that’s certainly not as severe as what the Astros did in 2017-18, it’s also not at all innocent.
The Astros’ use of video rooms was considered to be an unacceptable rules violation, and the Yankees were doing something similar. The big difference here is the contemporaneous use of a trash can to signal pitches to hitters, and whilst that’s a significant difference, both teams were using video monitors in order to learn and decode opposing signs. Assuming Teixeira is being entirely honest, this doesn’t launch the Yankees into an upper echelon of cheaters, but it also doesn’t absolve them from any wrongdoing.

So why do the Plaintiffs want the letter unsealed? Part of their case is on appeal, and they want to be able to show an appellate court that Rob Manfred and MLB knew about rampant sign-stealing and hid it from the general public. In other words, they want it to be part of the record — that is, the documents shown to the appellate court in support of their appeal. The letter was turned over in discovery, but considered to be confidential under the protective order that the parties signed. This is not unusual; lots of documents in discovery are designated as confidential under protective orders, and including them in appellate records does require at least some degree of unsealing.
The Yankees’ protestations that the letter would cause “reputational injury” are curious if Teixeira’s version of events is entirely true, because the letter would cite facts that are already public. So either the letter concerns sign stealing well beyond what we already know, or the Yankees are being overly cautious.
The Yankees have appealed the ruling, arguing that the case has already been dismissed and therefore the unsealed document isn’t necessary. But I’m not optimistic about their chances; after all, Judge Jed Rakoff, the judge who dismissed the plaintiffs’ case, considers the letter significant enough to unseal and therefore an important part of the appellate record. What the Yankees have done, instead, is slow down the appeal process, because whether or not the letter is to be unsealed and included as part of the record must be determined before the plaintiffs’ appeal can be heard. So the Yankees are so adamant that this letter not be disclosed to the public that they’re willing to have the lawsuit hanging over baseball’s collective heads for potentially years longer.
Sheryl Ring is a litigation attorney in the Chicago suburbs. You can reach her on twitter at @Ring_Sheryl. The opinions expressed here are solely the author’s. This post is intended for informational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice.

MLB has refused to investigate the New York Yankees for cheating, a questionable move in the wake of the Houston Astros’ scandal.

The Houston Astros were just embroiled in the largest scandal MLB has seen since the Black Sox. That’s been followed up by the Boston Red Sox piece of the pie. The two scandals have cost three managers and a general manager their jobs. It’s also cost, at current count, four premium draft picks.

MLB has made a clear stance that cheating in this manner should not be tolerated. It’s an affront to the game and the cheaters should be dealt with in just fashion. There’s just one lingering question…

Why are the New York Yankees getting away without an investigation?

The Yankees are known to have cheated in the past under Joe Girardi. They were caught using their video room much in the same way the 2018 Red Sox were. It’s different, though, because the Yankees did it in 2015, before the memo about cheating with electronics went out in 2017.

That’s a fair enough argument except for one thing: If this was such a large issue, why didn’t MLB issue a warning to the league when the Yankees cheated the first time?

In 2017, the Yankees and Red Sox were both caught cheating. The Red Sox were using Apple Watches during the game, something the league prohibited. Meanwhile, the Yankees were caught using their bullpen phone to get information on the strike zone and opposing pitchers.

It was after these incidents that MLB issued a warning. They told teams that if they used electronics to cheat, there would be severe consequences.

The Yankees cheated twice in the last five years using electronics and didn’t get hit with harsh penalties. However, both transgressions came before MLB’s warning. It’s reasonable for them to have not faced harsh discipline.

Things have changed now
The baseball world is focused on rooting out who’s cheating and how it’s being done. The Astros have changed the baseball landscape. The Red Sox are set to face harsh penalties for doing exactly what the Yankees did just three years prior.

So why is MLB ignoring the class of many in the industry to investigate the Yankees?

The first shot came from former outfielder/first baseman Logan Morrison. On Tuesday, Morrison claimed that he has first-hand accounts of electronic cheating.

He claimed, “I know from first-hand accounts that the Yankees, Dodgers, Astros and Red Sox all have used film to pick signs,” he wrote, per NJ Advance Media’s Brendan Kuty. “Just want you guys to know the truth. I personally think it’s a tool in a tool belt to pick signs, but if we are going to be punishing people for it. Don’t half-ass it.”

When a former player accuses a team of cheating it should hold weight. That goes double for players who were nominated for the Roberto Clemente Award, as Morrison was in 2012.

The Roberto Clemente Award is given to the player who best shows outstanding commitment to helping players on and off the field.

Why would a player with a history of upstanding moral characteristics lie about this? MLB believed Mike Fiers when he came out and said the Astros were cheating. They nearly immediately opened an investigation after he came forward. Why isn’t Morrison’s claim met with the same vigor?

The one reason that’s been touted is that Morrison never played for the Yankees. While that’s technically true, he was a part of their franchise in 2019.

He was in spring training with them and in their minor league system at AAA. It would be foolish to act like he didn’t have any idea about what the Yankees were doing last season.

Then things got really complicated with a video of Alex Cora resurfacing on Wednesday.