A Note to Slinky (An "Ode" sounded too corny and hopefully premature)

Thank you to everyone who showed up at the event. As always, it is you who make the event special.

I'm sorry to be throwing a wet blanket on this when all of you have been so forthcoming with praise, I feel like a bit of an asshole.
Slinky, the biggest thanks go to you and I'm sure most if not all would agree. I wasn't able to attend but just the stories make me glad it happened (and of course to hope for a future event).

I don't think your heartfelt comments are throwing a wet blanket, and you should not feel like an asshole at all. Hopefully as the euphoria wears off those who could partake and enjoy, your melancholy will pass. I think the members would be more upset by your departure than any comments you could make, but in the end you have to do what's right for you and we will have to respect that despite our feelings.

I feel strange posting such a personal response to someone I have never met, but in the few years I have been at UG it has become a small part of my life that I value quite a bit. I was originally replying in the Feb 2009 thread but that didn't seem appropriate. I don't know what would happen to UG if you were to retire, and while I hope it would live on it might not be the same.

I hope you can take a break this weekend and let the stress go. Even without your personal comments, the sheer stress of planning and executing this event is sure to be draining. Hopefully some downtime will help.

Last edited:
Thanks Hawk for starting this thread. Slinky's postpartum communiqué was important and gets lost a little in such a big thread (February 2009 Party). Here's a link to said post:

http://utopiaguide.com/forums/showpost.php?p=847405&postcount=382

When I hit these parties I generally am there in stealth mode but I've had the pleasure of conversing with Slinky in the past so as I was leaving Wednesday night I had moment to say hello and thank you. Slinky's number one question to me was "did you have a good time?" and he really was sincere. I, of course, said yes and he pressed me again with a "really?". It was like dealing with Sirio Maccioni at Le Cirque. His name and reputation depends upon flawless execution. Slinky and Sirio sweat the details. So again to Slinky I say yes, really!

Now, on to Slinky possibly leaving UG, I'd recommend taking a break. I've been on UG for just over 8 years and I've checked out from time to time. I just need to for various reasons including my sanity. A break is good but I've found that coming back is even better. Refreshed perspective, etc. Look at it as a vacation from UG. We all need to go on a vacation once in a while.

And finally, "the one who I will never get over". I had a regular thing with a provider for several years. She retired a few years ago and I've rudderless since then. I still see providers but it's not even close to what I had with my "the one who I will never get over". Not even close. But I still search. That's why I'm here. Ironically, my friend's incall was around the corner from the party. When I left I couldn't help myself as I had to walk by the old apartment and linger for a moment. Well, at least we have our memories, Slinky. That's the good and the bad of it. Sometimes the memories are melancholy and other times they're sweet. Hang on to the sweet ones...