2021 New York Yankees

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're going to be disappointed.
A team that won 92 games, had a winning record against both teams in the World Series and is already against a self imposed cap isn't going to change five positions.
Especially not with what you are looking for
Maybe not, but it doesn't all have to come by throwing money at the problems. Torres, Gallo, Voit, German and some of their minor leaguers have value. You can address say 2-3 positions of need via trade. Then address the remaining issues in free agency with money. Yanks payroll should be 250-260 million in the market they play in.

A SS,SP, and CF via free agency. Then a C, 1B, and LF through trades. DJ has to play a position, can't have a 15 million dollar utility man on the roster, we already have a 10 million dollar backup outfielder in Hicks. Torres, Gallo, and a prospect for Olsen? Sign a SS and Marte.

Thats not a bad start, then add a guy like Ray to the rotation? You still have Voit, German ( both with 3 more years of arbitration control) and maybe another prospect to add to a package for a LF, 3B, or Catcher. Sign a bullpen piece to replace Britton. Not a bad approach.

in 2023 Britton, Chapman, and Severino come off the books, thats 42 million right there. Use 30 of that to resign Judge.

Maybe not, but it doesn't all have to come by throwing money at the problems. Torres, Gallo, Voit, German and some of their minor leaguers have value. You can address say 2-3 positions of need via trade. Then address the remaining issues in free agency with money. Yanks payroll should be 250-260 million in the market they play in.

A SS,SP, and CF via free agency. Then a C, 1B, and LF through trades. DJ has to play a position, can't have a 15 million dollar utility man on the roster, we already have a 10 million dollar backup outfielder in Hicks. Torres, Gallo, and a prospect for Olsen? Sign a SS and Marte.

Thats not a bad start, then add a guy like Ray to the rotation? You still have Voit, German ( both with 3 more years of arbitration control) and maybe another prospect to add to a package for a LF, 3B, or Catcher. Sign a bullpen piece to replace Britton. Not a bad approach.

in 2023 Britton, Chapman, and Severino come off the books, thats 42 million right there. Use 30 of that to resign Judge.
So basically you are rebuilding the whole team?

So basically you are rebuilding the whole team?
They have to make adjustments, the issues are pretty glaring to the fans. Cashman has to know he has built a feeble team that has gotten worse since they peaked in 2017.

I wouldn't call it a rebuild if your building with legit players who are already established in the majors. Time for them to spend some money, let go of the white knuckle grip on some of their prospects, and get more athletic.

They have a sick lineup. Very balanced and poised.
They know what it takes to win, and that helps a lot.

They did cheat those years and that helped them get the experience they needed.
They were 29-31 in the abbreviated season last year so I pretty much wrote them off. Plus the Yankees seemed to own them this year, except for the games that they self-imploded.

This year they developed starting pitchers, Luis Garcia who has absolutely filthy stuff, Framber Valdez and Jose Urquidy all who have ERA's under 3.60. Their bullpen has been terrific as well. Ryan Pressly and Christian Javier have been great.

Give Dusty Baker credit for this year's success. Astros in 5.

They have to make adjustments, the issues are pretty glaring to the fans. Cashman has to know he has built a feeble team that has gotten worse since they peaked in 2017.

I wouldn't call it a rebuild if your building with legit players who are already established in the majors. Time for them to spend some money, let go of the white knuckle grip on some of their prospects, and get more athletic.
I get what you are saying, and I agree with you, but you were mentioning all of the positions, they need to fix. Thats most the team you mentioned, or more than half the starters....

I get what you are saying, and I agree with you, but you were mentioning all of the positions, they need to fix. Thats most the team you mentioned, or more than half the starters....
Thats my point, they need A LOT of fixing. They not 1 or 2 players away, they are multiple players away, 5-6 minimum. Again, all just my opinion having watched them for 40+ years. Toronto, Boston, Tampa are all better then they are on paper, with Boston and Toronto most likely only getting better in 2022. I am not sold yet on Tampa, they went out with a bit of a whimper, maybe they turning into pumpkins finally, but they not going to roll over for anyone during the season.

Yankees pitching is better than Toronto and Boston. I raed Buster Olney saying Yanks are going to spend big this offseason. Let's see.
They will need to.
There's a lot of infield talent on the free -agent market this season.
I'd be fine with a left hitting ss. Torrez to second and then move Dj to first. Let Rizzo go. He's a decent first baseman but will get overpaid paid by someone. Probably not the Yankees. Move Voight to DH and Stanton to left field I like him playing in the field, he seems to hit better when out there. Find a centerfielder Gio stays at third. I think I can live with that line up. Than tweek the pen and add a starting pitcher.
Max would be nice. But doubtful.

Thats my point, they need A LOT of fixing. They not 1 or 2 players away, they are multiple players away, 5-6 minimum. Again, all just my opinion having watched them for 40+ years. Toronto, Boston, Tampa are all better then they are on paper, with Boston and Toronto most likely only getting better in 2022. I am not sold yet on Tampa, they went out with a bit of a whimper, maybe they turning into pumpkins finally, but they not going to roll over for anyone during the season.
I get it, but if you are talking about 5 or 6 starters, that's a rebuild. That was just my point. I know they don't need to rebuilt, just retool....

billyS

Reign of Terror
I get it, but if you are talking about 5 or 6 starters, that's a rebuild. That was just my point. I know they don't need to rebuilt, just retool....
Thank you!

If I find we are just rehashing the same points over and over again I'm going to close this thread and when the real Hot Stove season opens up after the World Series we can start a thread about that and talk about all the teams on there until Spring Training starts.

Otherwise I think all the main players in this thread, myself included, have already given their thoughts on what needs to be done to improve the Yankees for 2022. Twice each. We are going around in circles.

Thank you!

If I find we are just rehashing the same points over and over again I'm going to close this thread and when the real Hot Stove season opens up after the World Series we can start a thread about that and talk about all the teams on there until Spring Training starts.

Otherwise I think all the main players in this thread, myself included, have already given their thoughts on what needs to be done to improve the Yankees for 2022. Twice each. We are going around in circles.
I've been trying to get this thread closed for months now with all the crazy posts.

billyS

Reign of Terror
11/05/21Los Angeles Angels claimed SS Andrew Velazquez off waivers from New York Yankees.
11/05/21New York Yankees sent C Rob Brantly outright to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders.
11/05/21Boston Red Sox claimed LF Tim Locastro off waivers from New York Yankees.
11/05/21Pittsburgh Pirates claimed CF Greg Allen off waivers from New York Yankees.
11/04/21LF Brett Gardner elected free agency.
11/04/21RHP Darren O'Day elected free agency.
11/03/21RHP Corey Kluber elected free agency.
11/03/211B Anthony Rizzo elected free agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.