2021 New York Yankees

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am VERY disappointed in reading this. Status quo I guess for the next three years minimum. They basically cut off his balls by firing all his chosen coaches, his hands are completely tied at this point. More analytics to come for sure. The rumors of him being too easy on the players and Nevin influencing his in game decisions I guess wasn't enough to show that he isn't a great manager. Or his handing of the bullpen for that matter. The thing I can't get past though is this:

All the metal mistakes on base, running bases, the errors, the non situational hitting, the dogging it to first base by some, the basics were all such an issue and that IS coaching/managing. I don't care what anyone says. That does start with the manager.

A-Rod nailed it, he said he (himself) would give him a 3 year deal.

billyS

Reign of Terror
What Boone needs is a bad guy coach, an enforcer if you will. Torre used Larry Bowa for this.
His bullpen management is shit but I'm thinking a lot of it comes from the Analytics department.

If I was Boon would have went for the San Diego job...lot less pressure and aggravation. I get it that the Yankee job is high profile yada yada but unless they win a World Series the season is considered a failure. If he was in San Diego and they won 92 games and got to wild card he would have been lived out there!! Lol alit of good Young players there too...not surprised by the deal,... we'll see what happens.

All the metal mistakes on base, running bases, the errors, the non situational hitting, the dogging it to first base by some, the basics were all such an issue and that IS coaching/managing. I don't care what anyone says. That does start with the manager.
It's tough to argue with this. Should be covered in Spring Training (quite frankly high school for that matter), yet we see bad decisions by in our baserunning time and time again. Situational hitting is a dead art form, but you see the more successful teams practicing this (or at least I have in these playoffs).

Part of it is roster construction. Do we have anyone outside of DJ and Gardner who is capable of being a situational hitter? Cano and Sanchez would lolly gag running to 1st all the time, and as much as I liked Girardi I don't recall him ever benching them for it.

I think the combo of Cashman and Boone is not going to get us to a championship. If Hal lets Cashman blow past the luxury Tax then maybe. Otherwise - They won't win with these two in their current positions. That's my gut feeling.

Taillon is having ankle surgery and will be out through next May. They need a starting pitcher, maybe two.
I wouldn't bet on them getting a starter. They have Severino back and can slide some of the kids in for a stop gap.

Hal is too cheap. Besides, there are other positions they need to figure out.
I wouldn’t mind them signing Baez, I like the way he plays even though it’s a bit of a crybaby. He's a good hitter and smart base runner.
Probably won't happen though. If they did. They can put DJ at First if they don't sign Rizzo. And move Torres back to second or trade him if they sign Rizzo. He's got value.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I wouldn't bet on them getting a starter. They have Severino back and can slide some of the kids in for a stop gap.

Hal is too cheap. Besides, there are other positions they need to figure out.
I wouldn’t mind them signing Baez, I like the way he plays even though it’s a bit of a crybaby. He's a good hitter and smart base runner.
Probably won't happen though. If they did. They can put DJ at First if they don't sign Rizzo. And move Torres back to second or trade him if they sign Rizzo. He's got value.
I wouldn't want Baez. He's a lightning rod for the media. They will always be baiting him and he will always take the bait.

The thought of Sanchez and Hicks coming back make me sick. The fact Cashman was so blasé about Sanchez makes you think he will force feed him once again. Hicks, how can they rely on this guy again? He has played in 91 games out of a possible 324 games combined in 2019 and 2021. It's Cashman and his enormous ego that won't let go of these players he still thinks will bust out and then he can look like the genius.

I still think minimum of 3 NEW bats in the current lineup. If you want to go defense behind the plate, then SS,CF,1B,LF - Need to be addressed. If you sign a SS you don't necessarily need to address 1B because DJ could play there. I would even make an argument that 3B could be upgraded. Gio was a nice story 2 years ago, but he has pumpkin'd and 13 hrs from a corner position won't cut in the current MLB atmosphere.

Definitely need to add a starter to go with Cole, Severino, and Montgomery. Then let guys like King, Schmidt, German, and Cortes battle it out for the 5th-6th spots. I would sell high on Cortes, nothing in his previous years says this guy will continue to do what he did last year.

billyS

Reign of Terror
The thought of Sanchez and Hicks coming back make me sick. The fact Cashman was so blasé about Sanchez makes you think he will force feed him once again. Hicks, how can they rely on this guy again? He has played in 91 games out of a possible 324 games combined in 2019 and 2021. It's Cashman and his enormous ego that won't let go of these players he still thinks will bust out and then he can look like the genius.

I still think minimum of 3 NEW bats in the current lineup. If you want to go defense behind the plate, then SS,CF,1B,LF - Need to be addressed. If you sign a SS you don't necessarily need to address 1B because DJ could play there. I would even make an argument that 3B could be upgraded. Gio was a nice story 2 years ago, but he has pumpkin'd and 13 hrs from a corner position won't cut in the current MLB atmosphere.

Definitely need to add a starter to go with Cole, Severino, and Montgomery. Then let guys like King, Schmidt, German, and Cortes battle it out for the 5th-6th spots. I would sell high on Cortes, nothing in his previous years says this guy will continue to do what he did last year.
If Sanchez were better defensively I could live with his .200 average and 25-30 homers. Tampa won 100 games with Zunnio giving them similar numbers.
Sanchez has improved a lot but obviously some of the pitchers don't trust him.

Hicks is another story. My guess is that they just don't want to spend resources on the position.
In a perfect world he comes back and puts up numbers like 2018.
But I wouldn't count on it.

If the Yankees only sign Rizzo and Seager, I would be ok with that. Possibly trade Torres for starting pitching or Mullens from the O’s.

I don’t see many options replacing Sanchez, let him become a FA next year.

I want to see more Stanton in LF and if healthy, Andujar at DH. Gallo has to go, he’s horrible.

If the Yankees only sign Rizzo and Seager, I would be ok with that. Possibly trade Torres for starting pitching or Mullens from the O’s.

I want to see more Stanton in LF and if healthy, Andujar at DH. Gallo has to go, he’s horrible.
I FUCK'In LOVE Mullins!

Is Mullins available?
Why would they move him?

Last year there were rumors that Baltimore was looking to trade him. Maybe looking for a big haul of prospects. He is really good and I would LOVE to have him as our centerfielder but I would be surprised if they moved him and especially to a divisional rival.

Status
Not open for further replies.