2021 New York Yankees

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Brantley would have been Real nice.
I thought about that too but.....
He's old with an injury history.
He has a weak arm and is becoming a defensive liability.
He can only play left field or DH.
If we had an opening at DH he would be a fit.
When healthy he would be the perfect #3 hitter between Stanton and Judge.

Yes App just sent me today's lineup.
No Judge. Hicks back to the three hole.
I hate Hicks in the 3 hole.
He is a good #7 hitter.

I’m starting to think that he’s not as good as we all thought he was.
Maybe its a little of both, him not being that good and he is hurt.

Sanchez came up and mashed, Judge came up and mashed, Bird came up and mashed, Andujar came up and mashed, but none have really adjusted to how the pitchers have adjusted to them. Judge seems to get a pass because of his one huge year, but that was a 4 years ago.
Each year his average has gone down, his k's have gone up along with the injuries, and his walk rate is down.

2017: 284/52 Hr/114 RBI/127BB/208K's - 155 Games
2018: 278/27 Hr/ 67 RBI/76BB/152K's - 112 Games
2019: 272/27 Hr/55 RBI/64BB/141K's - 102 Games
2020: 257/9 Hr/22 RBI/10BB/32K's - 28 Games

Over the last two weeks he has looked the worst I have ever seen him, sans some playoff series. Missing straight fastballs right down the middle, and waving at the outside pitches and fouling them off - those were the pitches he use to drive to RF and out of the park. So maybe he is hurt, if its a side issue/oblique, hard to extend as a righty across the plate and drive a pitch opposite field.

Time is running out for Sanchez, Frazier, Gardner looks awful too.
Why can't we try Florial in CF as opposed to Hicks? Seems like Florial has been in the minors forever, he is tearing it up in the minors. Whats the sense of having all these prospects if we don't play them.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Maybe its a little of both, him not being that good and he is hurt.

Sanchez came up and mashed, Judge came up and mashed, Bird came up and mashed, Andujar came up and mashed, but none have really adjusted to how the pitchers have adjusted to them. Judge seems to get a pass because of his one huge year, but that was a 4 years ago.
Each year his average has gone down, his k's have gone up along with the injuries, and his walk rate is down.

2017: 284/52 Hr/114 RBI/127BB/208K's - 155 Games
2018: 278/27 Hr/ 67 RBI/76BB/152K's - 112 Games
2019: 272/27 Hr/55 RBI/64BB/141K's - 102 Games
2020: 257/9 Hr/22 RBI/10BB/32K's - 28 Games

Over the last two weeks he has looked the worst I have ever seen him, sans some playoff series. Missing straight fastballs right down the middle, and waving at the outside pitches and fouling them off - those were the pitches he use to drive to RF and out of the park. So maybe he is hurt, if its a side issue/oblique, hard to extend as a righty across the plate and drive a pitch opposite field.

Time is running out for Sanchez, Frazier, Gardner looks awful too.
Why can't we try Florial in CF as opposed to Hicks? Seems like Florial has been in the minors forever, he is tearing it up in the minors. Whats the sense of having all these prospects if we don't play them.
You can't play them if they're not ready.
You can ruin a prospect by rushing them.
Florial lost time to injuries, one was a hit by pitch on the wrist, the other I actually saw it happen in a spring training game, broken wrist climbing the fence for a ball.
So it's not more bad luck injuries not injury prone type injuries.
Then last year there were no minor league, so he has lost significant development time.

So it's not like he has been in the minors struggling, he just needs reps against better pitching. He is in AA right now. I'm sure the plan is to let him rake then move him up to AAA at some point.
But yeah, I'd like to see him replace Hicks sooner than later. Plus he is a lefty bat.

Hicks seems to have taken a step back defensively. When we first got him he was well above average with a cannon for an arm.

Either he is afraid to cut loose or the arm never healed right from TJ surgery.
And he seems to take bad routes on balls and not get good jumps. Maybe he needs glasses/contacts?

I agree about Judge and Sanchez, but Bird and Andujar are victims to injuries. I thought Migi was going to be the next Adrian Beltre. He also hasn't played and would guess that if he had 150 at bats anywhere he would find his groove. I would like to see him play all year at AAA to regain his confidence. Not sure where he would fit anyway so he may be dealt for prospects.

I agree about Judge and Sanchez, but Bird and Andujar are victims to injuries. I thought Migi was going to be the next Adrian Beltre. He also hasn't played and would guess that if he had 150 at bats anywhere he would find his groove. I would like to see him play all year at AAA to regain his confidence. Not sure where he would fit anyway so he may be dealt for prospects.
I agree EB, I still have hope for Andujar, but can't blame it all on the injury. He has had stints and just has not hit. Nobody knows if thats injury related, I don't think it is. Like you said, he needs 150 at bats. I agree with you on that. As much as I like Andujar, and kind of poo poo on Urshela, Gio has really been great. It's just bad timing for Andujar, nobody knew Urshela would blossom like that, except the scouts who told Cashman to trade for him.

I don't agree with you on Bird, Injuries are part of the game. Its how you bounce back and train more or differently to avoid the injuries moving forward. He always seemed very aloof in his approach, Who am I to speculate. I just don't think he realized the opportunity he had in front of him and took it for granted because he was a lefty in Yankee stadium. He has done NOTHING since being released, so it tells me he was a flash in the pan who didn't adjust to how the pitchers have adjusted to him.....like Sanchez and potentially Judge (SMH).

Either he is afraid to cut loose or the arm never healed right from TJ surgery.
And he seems to take bad routes on balls and not get good jumps. Maybe he needs glasses/contacts?
Maybe he should swing with a golf club instead of a bat.
Yes, his defense is definitely worse this year than in any years before.

I nicknamed Hicks "33% Hicks" 33% of the time he is great! but unfortunately, 33% of the time he flat out sucks and the other 33% of the time he is on the IL. We have gotten plenty of the sucking ... maybe now he is turnign it around with the bat and we will get some of the great Hicks.

Tonight I think we get to see Voit and Urshella back in the lineup. All of a sudden our lineup is much better. If Higgy catches tonight then the only bad spot in the lineup is whoever is playing LF. Otherwise .. Hicks and Torres have started to turn it around. We shuld finally start seeing our team playing decently again!

I nicknamed Hicks "33% Hicks" 33% of the time he is great! but unfortunately, 33% of the time he flat out sucks and the other 33% of the time he is on the IL. We have gotten plenty of the sucking ... maybe now he is turnign it around with the bat and we will get some of the great Hicks.
I think it's time to reassess. He's hardly ever great!

Tonight I think we get to see Voit and Urshella back in the lineup. All of a sudden our lineup is much better. If Higgy catches tonight then the only bad spot in the lineup is whoever is playing LF. Otherwise .. Hicks and Torres have started to turn it around. We shuld finally start seeing our team playing decently again!
Frazier has to hit at some point, doesn't he?

Lets see what we do tonight against the Rays. They hit .240 against every other team in MLB, and .300 against us.

Frazier may be a bit of a head case. I mean - he is not just in a slump - he is flat out sucking ass. He needs to go down and play for around a month. He just may need a change in scenery.

Status
Not open for further replies.