2021 New York Mets

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mets are only 5.5 out of the second Wild Card and they have 8 games left with the Marlins and 4 with the Nationals.

They also have 3 games each against the Cards and Phillies who are directly ahead of them.

Three against the Yankees who they have handled this year plus the games are at Citi Field putting the Yankees at a disadvantage.

Beyond that they have three against the Braves to finish the year so the Braves will probably be resting their players.

So how can you say they are done?

It's right there for them if they take care of business.
we shall see but I say they are done

I am aware of the reported arm issues. It not so easy to just accept the company line here though.

1. Kumar Rocker was rumored to have some arm issues, which is why he fell in the draft to begin with. The Mets must have been aware of the arm issues before drafting him; if they weren't, that's just negligence on their part.
  2. The Mets draft a kid with reported arm issues. They actually made an offer to sign him. So arm issues aren't the reason the Mets didn't sign Rocker as Lightweight would have you believe.
  3. The Cohen Mets didn't sign the kid because get this - they were $1M apart in negotiations. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss....
So no, it's not so cut and dry to take the Mets PR line about the Mets discovering some kind of unforeseen arm issues which were totally impossible to have known about before hand and handcuffed them from signing Rocker. They still could have signed Rocker; they wanted to sign him; they made him an offer; but in the end, they pulled a Wilpon on cheaped out.

The ironic part? Their entire draft plan strategy revolved around signing him, so this is a double fuck-up by the baseball ops team. They had enough amateur draft money budgeted to sign him too.

As far as the actual extent of his injury, it's a he-said she-said situation; the Mets believe that the MRIs showed concerning damage while Rocker's team has stated multiple orthopedic surgeons have assessed the MRI shows no significant changes from his previous one in 2018.

Getting a compensation pick this year doesn't negate not signing one of the premier pitchers of this year's draft, who they very much wanted, and again would have signed, but cheaped out on.
The Mets botched this worse than Tori Spelling's latest plastic surgery.

They were trying to be cheap and sign the this kid on pennies for dollars. No chance they didn't know he had any underlying arm issues. So they said, "Hey Rocker, you either sign for what we offer or fuck yourself and lose a year of playing time and no money!" They strong armed this kid and its pretty gross.

Even if he has an arm issue, he is 21 years old. Mets to Rocker: We think you have a ligament issue, lets meet half way. Get your surgery and you be ready to roll in full health by 23 years old. Ugh, fucking disaster how they handled this.

Now this kid has to sit out another year and what did the Mets gain? the 11th pick next year. Thats it. They don't have 2 picks in the first round next year. They get the 11th pick. Stupid Stupid Stupid

I think you are clueless, If you think it was about one Million dollars?
That's what I read. Even assuming that isn't accurate, they drafted someone who was suspected to have arm issues. They centered their draft strategy around getting him and then drafting college seniors with no leverage low ball offers so as to have enough money to sign him.

So they didn't just lose out on this year's first round pick, who was rated as one of if not the best pitchers in college last season; they also missed out on drafting top tier high school and college underclassmen because those players have more negotiating leverage and the Mets wanted to save all their amateur draft monies for this kid, so they avoided drafting those players.

The move completely and utterly blew up in their face. You don't get a draft do-over. Make no mistake about it, this was a failure by the Mets baseball ops team.

They were trying to be cheap and sign the this kid on pennies for dollars. No chance they didn't know he had any underlying arm issues. So they said, "Hey Rocker, you either sign for what we offer or fuck yourself and lose a year of playing time and no money!" They strong armed this kid and its pretty gross.

Even if he has an arm issue, he is 21 years old. Mets to Rocker: We think you have a ligament issue, lets meet half way. Get your surgery and you be ready to roll in full health by 23 years old. Ugh, fucking disaster how they handled this.

Now this kid has to sit out another year and what did the Mets gain? the 11th pick next year. Thats it. They don't have 2 picks in the first round next year. They get the 11th pick. Stupid Stupid Stupid
Maybe he should have signed if it was only about one million dollars.

You are wrong , the Mets will have 2 first round picks. There own, wherever it lands and also the 11th pick.

lol, No, I am not that stupid. I agree, next yr we should have the DH, that would help. Smith is a very good defensive 1st baseman. If they dont get the DH, he has to go.
I like Smith, always have. Nice lefty bat who plays good defense. Just having an off year this season, along with many others (Conforto, McNeil, Lindor)

If NL adopts the DH next year, I like Smith at 1b and Alonso at DH. Lindor SS, McNeil to 3B, Cano (SMH) to 2B.

Who is in the corner outfield spots?

I like Smith, always have. Nice lefty bat who plays good defense. Just having an off year this season, along with many others (Conforto, McNeil, Lindor)

If NL adopts the DH next year, I like Smith at 1b and Alonso at DH. Lindor SS, McNeil to 3B, Cano (SMH) to 2B.

Out if Smith's 5 yrs in the league,if this is an off year for him ,what year was he good?

Out if Smith's 5 yrs in the league,if this is an off year for him ,what year was he good?
I think his 2019 and 2020 seasons were nice when you consider those numbers were reached in just 177 at bats.

This year not sure what the deal is, still not awful numbers. He could rebound to hit 260/15 hrs/65 rbi if he has a nice September.

Nice lefty swing, I am always drawn to those types because of Yankee Stadium/Short Porch.

I think his 2019 and 2020 seasons were nice when you consider those numbers were reached in just 177 at bats.

This year not sure what the deal is, still not awful numbers. He could rebound to hit 260/15 hrs/65 rbi if he has a nice September.

Nice lefty swing, I am always drawn to those types because of Yankee Stadium/Short Porch.
I think he is the type of player that will get better playing every day. Don't like the way he is being used. Should play 1B everyday and Alonso DH... hopefully that will happen next year.

I think they give Conforto the qualifying offer and see what kind if year he has.

billyS

Reign of Terror
But he hit like Groucho Marx last night.
I always liked him when he was with Cleveland, I have no idea why he thinks he has to act like a punk when he came to New York.

He should just let his game speak for him, but it seems he tries to go out of his way to get attention.

The hair, the huge earrings in both ears.
Maybe he's gay? Why would you want to look like that?

Also when I don't remember him talking to the Yankees dugout when he was in Cleveland and the Yankees eliminating his Indians last year and 2017.

I always liked him when he was with Cleveland, I have no idea why he thinks he has to act like a punk when he came to New York.

He should just let his game speak for him, but it seems he tries to go out of his way to get attention.

Also when I don't remember him talking to the Yankees dugout when he was in Cleveland and the Yankees eliminating his Indians last year and 2017.
I dont care if he is Gay, what color his hair is, coming to NY can be a shock to anyone. I give the first year a break, I just want him to play like an all-star he is paid to be.

Plus, in 2017, why would he chirp at the Yank Bench when, ( I think ) they beat his Indians fair and square.
Last night, he chirped because the Yanks seemed to be up to their old tricks again. Yanks cried, for years, about the Astros banging the garbage cans, and Yanks use the Whistling. Same thing. Lindor wasn't having any of it. Good for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.