2020 Yankees

billyS

Reign of Terror
How did David Cone lose out to Matt Blake(who?) For Pitching coach?
Maybe they got the sense Cone wasn't all in?
The Indians just promoted this guy Tuesday so they definitely wanted to retain him.
I'm just wondering how a 33 year old who never pitched in the major is going to relate to the players in game?
Is he going to go out to the mound in the middle of an inning and tell Paxton he needs to get his spin rate up on his fastball?
I agree with the analytics but more as an overall plan but don't you need a guy who can spot a flaw in mechanics in game?

billyS

Reign of Terror
I agree Billy - But I guess we are going to find out about Blake.
I like the overall plan for the organization. If you look at their top 30 prospect list they have some great arms down there but they need to develop them. They really need to get better at that. You look at Tampa and for years they have been graduating starters from the minors.
Let's see what happens.

I'm just wondering how a 33 year old who never pitched in the major is going to relate to the players in game?
Is he going to go out to the mound in the middle of an inning and tell Paxton he needs to get his spin rate up on his fastball?
I agree with the analytics but more as an overall plan but don't you need a guy who can spot a flaw in mechanics in game?
I've long felt the need to having somone who played in the pros to be a coach/manager is pretty overrated. Was Kevin Long, a guy who never played in an MLB game, a subpar hitting coach with the Yankees? Or is he a guy we remember some of their great hitters raving about? I would say he related pretty well to them, and to the current Nationals who just won the World Series.

I remember when Magic Johnson and Wayne Gretzky became head coaches. I remember thinking great, are there going to tell them to just do exactly what their natural abilities allowed them to do so now these players will be All Pros?

Different sport, but Bill Belichek not having played has not appeared to have been a significant barrier for him in being the greatest coach in NFL history.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I've long felt the need to having somone who played in the pros to be a coach/manager is pretty overrated. Was Kevin Long, a guy who never played in an MLB game, a subpar hitting coach with the Yankees? Or is he a guy we remember some of their great hitters raving about? I would say he related pretty well to them, and to the current Nationals who just won the World Series.

I remember when Magic Johnson and Wayne Gretzky became head coaches. I remember thinking great, are there going to tell them to just do exactly what their natural abilities allowed them to do so now these players will be All Pros?

Different sport, but Bill Belichek not having played has not appeared to have been a significant barrier for him in being the greatest coach in NFL history.
Good points

He's pretty accomplished considering that he was a pitching coach for a high school team in 2019 and has strong analytics and pitching philosophies. Had done a great job in Cleveland.

IWas Kevin Long, a guy who never played in an MLB game, a subpar hitting coach with the Yankees? Or is he a guy we remember some of their great hitters raving about? I would say he related pretty well to them, and to the current Nationals who just won the World Series.
And he won a world series with the Yankees in 2009 as well.

Manager if the year awarded today.My vote goes to Aaron Boone.Great job with over 30 players going on the IL during the regular season.We shall see if the Yankee haters give it to someone else !

How MANY more hr's would Judge have hit if he knew what pitch was coming? Astro's are dirty fucks, they getting way too high off their success, we all know that comes to a crashing end sooner than later. Karma is a bitch, you can't run or hide from it. The truth has no agenda, they will get theirs......

The Twins went from 78-84 to 100 wins. Baldelli was a first year manager. He was deserving.
I have to respectfully disagree EB.

Where would the Twinkies be if they had lost Berrios or Odorizzi? But they didn't and we had NO Severino all year.

Where would the they be if they had lost say Kapler or Rosario all year? They didn't, we lost Judge, Hicks, and Stanton - the latter two for most of the year.

What if they lost Schoop, Cron, or Rosario for more than 25 games this year? Well, they didn't, we lost Didi for 80 plus, Voit for 40 plus, Andujar for 140 plus, not too mention Sanchez for over 50 games.

Lets not forget we didn't have our All Star set up man Betances all year either.

I'm not saying you are wrong, all I am saying is when you look at it from another perspective, Boone got humped, and it certainly had to do with some yankee hating in the higher ranks of the voting. Boone is no hall of fame manager, far from it, but he did way more, with way less than Baldelli did, and won more regular season games, AND swept his ass in the ALDS.