2020 Yankees

They will try to unload Happ's salary and probably give MOntgomery a shot. If healthy - Montgomery is very good.
Relying on a pitcher who has missed two years is a huge risk. If he earns the five spot in spring training great.

Dealing Happ dramatically weakens the Yankees starting pitching depth.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Domingo German suspended for 81 games. What will Cashman do, if anything, to offset this loss? My guess is that this ensures Happ, unless Montgomery is absolutely lights out during preseason, in the starting rotation.
81 games is bullshit. No one else got that much when charges weren't filed.

I think there was enough evidence (testimonial at least) that charges didn't matter, the actions were what they were, and MLB acted appropriately in following their guidelines in the matter. Better to give him a real suspension then for it to come out they had all this evidence of his wrongdoing and chose to give him a slap on the wrist.

The Yankees should be fine without him for the first half. They second half and playoffs is where we'll need him. Hopefully he keeps his hands to himself now.

Happ's third year option (17M) depends on him pitching in 27 games or 165 innings. It will be interesting to see how he is utilized this year. Should he have a solid first half, perhaps the Yankees deal him at the trade deadline.

If you look at his past five seasons, he has pitched great following a mediocre season. With 17 million on the line next year, I expect better from him this year.

Happ's third year option (17M) depends on him pitching in 27 games or 165 innings. It will be interesting to see how he is utilized this year. Should he have a solid first half, perhaps the Yankees deal him at the trade deadline.

If you look at his past five seasons, he has pitched great following a mediocre season. With 17 million on the line next year, I expect better from him this year.
I hope your right. But I think he's done.

I hope your right. But I think he's done.
Happ actually pitched well in September. Was he a disappointment last year? Absolutely! But his record was 12-8, and 20-11 in games that he started.(I know his ERA was a shade under 5.00) His main problem was giving up the long ball. If he corrects that, he'll be fine.

When I look at this 40 man roster, I don't see any of the prospect pitchers even close to MLB ready. So, Montgomery and Happ battle for the five spot, with the loser going to the bullpen. I hope that Montgomery earns the spot. I would love to have the lefty in the rotation for many years. He displayed a nasty curve ball during his rookie season.

It's all about depth as you can NEVER have enough pitching.

Happ actually pitched well in September. Was he a disappointment last year? Absolutely! But his record was 12-8, and 20-11 in games that he started.(I know his ERA was a shade under 5.00) His main problem was giving up the long ball. If he corrects that, he'll be fine.

When I look at this 40 man roster, I don't see any of the prospect pitchers even close to MLB ready. So, Montgomery and Happ battle for the five spot, with the loser going to the bullpen. I hope that Montgomery earns the spot. I would love to have the lefty in the rotation for many years. He displayed a nasty curve ball during his rookie season.

It's all about depth as you can NEVER have enough pitching.
Don't forget about Johnny Lasagna

I read that the Yanks did the same thing in 15, 16 and 17 ? Before the teams were warned? Did anyone read that also? If that is true, many teams were doing it then the warning came out to stop doing it or else. Astros and Sox, kept doing it.

no .. but NICE TRY! .... After the Yankees ratted on the Red Sox ... those douchebags said .. "Well ... Uh .... Uh .. Yeah! The Yankees did it too!!!" Yet they had no proof and the whole thing was dropped.

Glad they got Gardner for another year but kind of surprised they designated Stephen Tarpley for assignment.I am not a scout in any means but I thought this kid looked pretty good at times.He will definitely get scooped up by another team.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Glad they got Gardner for another year but kind of surprised they designated Stephen Tarpley for assignment.I am not a scout in any means but I thought this kid looked pretty good at times.He will definitely get scooped up by another team.
Someone had to go, they've been putting this off for a month, a guess trying to make deal to free up a spot.
Tarpley always looked good in spring training but look at his actual mlb era.
Maybe he doesn't have the heart.