2020 Yankees Post Mortem and 2020-21 Hot Stove thread

Jay Bruce was below the Mendoza line last year. I like Gardy's glove and bat better.
I agree gardner is the better all around player, but I dont think Bruce has anything to do with Gardner. Cashman always likes power. If Judge and or Stanton get hurt, which is very likely, and miss 2 weeks, Bruce comes up, hits a few homeruns, he was well worth it.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Gardner has to decide if playing for a million or so and retiring as a life long Yankee is worth it. He's gotten paid, now its time to take one for the team, come back and be that clubhouse voice and leader, and a part time fill in.

Bruce is another feast or famine bat, I don't get that signing, unless Ford's days are numbered. Gardner I would think fits in much better than Bruce at this point.

Allen I think is looked at as that Gardner "type" with the speed and defense.

Why are the Yankees looking at Wilson another lefty? Isn't it overkill with Britton and Chapman, I would think we need a right handed reliever to fill the void of Kahnle, maybe Rosenthal? Or maybe a backup starter with experience and potential like Tijuan Walker?

Am I missing something with the Wilson fascination??
I like Wilson and you can never have enough lefties.
Of you remember he netted us Greene and Cessa when we traded him to Detroit.

I have to ask again what's the fascination with Rosenthal? He hasn't been good in along time. He only thing when he was good was that he threw so hard but since the arm injuries he's lost that. He's done.
Kinda like Bettances. Don't get me wrong, I loved him. But at 93 instead of 100 he's not the same pitcher.

Bruce is another feast or famine bat, I don't get that signing, unless Ford's days are numbered. Gardner I would think fits in much better than Bruce at this point.
Cashman loves these low risk high reward signings. I would not sign a player who strikes out every fourth at bat and has been dreadful the past three seasons.

I'm willing to give Ford and Tauchmann another chance due to last year's 60 game season.

I have to ask again what's the fascination with Rosenthal? He hasn't been good in along time. He only thing when he was good was that he threw so hard but since the arm injuries he's lost that. He's done.

Take out his awful 2019 season and he has a career 2.92 era with 1.5 k's per inning over his career.
Last year he had a 1.90 era/38 ks in 23.2 innings with a 0.85 whip

His career numbers are great, just think it might be a totally different look going from say Britton, to Rosenthal, to Chapman. Plus he has closing experience in the event of Chapman's inability to get it done when it matters most.

Power arms are all the rage, he could be lights out.

as much as BG is a fan favorite, I’d rather take someone who hits .300, gets on base and can steal (with younger, fresher legs)
I'd love to get one of those players on the team as well. Know of any that are available?

In all seriousness, the game has seen a metamorphosis into The Game Of Three Outcomes; strikeout, walk, or home run. In the Launch Angle Era, we're unlikely to see a return to guys making a concerned effort to hit .300, and stolen bases are an unfortunate part of the collateral damage of sabermetrics.

I just looked it up and there were nearly 3,600 stolen bases in MLB in 1987. Despite there being more teams, players and total games played, the total number of stolen bases across MLB is down about 1,000 from the mid-80s. We haven't seen a player steal 70 bases in a single season in over a decade.

What was once one of most exciting plays in baseball is gradually becoming eradicated.

Sorry for the rant. Still love baseball more than the other sports, but the game has managed to become less exciting in an era when every other sport seems to have gotten more exciting.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Sabermeterics guys hate the stolen base and sacrifice bunt because they say it wastes outs.

Maybe deading the ball this year will make some teams change their approach.

it's a minor league contract with incentives ... so it is not costing the Yankees much at all. AND ... apparently the Mets still wanted him ... BUT... you can't blame Wilson for preferring the Yanks.

it's a minor league contract with incentives ... so it is not costing the Yankees much at all. AND ... apparently the Mets still wanted him ... BUT... you can't blame Wilson for preferring the Yanks.
You are right. He should want to play for the yanks. he knows he would never sniff the field with the Mets. he needed a place that has no pitching so he knows he has a shot of pitching even though he blows.

I'd love to get one of those players on the team as well. Know of any that are available?

In all seriousness, the game has seen a metamorphosis into The Game Of Three Outcomes; strikeout, walk, or home run. In the Launch Angle Era, we're unlikely to see a return to guys making a concerned effort to hit .300, and stolen bases are an unfortunate part of the collateral damage of sabermetrics.

I just looked it up and there were nearly 3,600 stolen bases in MLB in 1987. Despite there being more teams, players and total games played, the total number of stolen bases across MLB is down about 1,000 from the mid-80s. We haven't seen a player steal 70 bases in a single season in over a decade.

What was once one of most exciting plays in baseball is gradually becoming eradicated.

Sorry for the rant. Still love baseball more than the other sports, but the game has managed to become less exciting in an era when every other sport seems to have gotten more exciting.
Great post - so if the majority of players are concerned with launch angle and hitting homeruns, is there any correlation between this and the seemingly increase in injuries? (or is it just the Yankees and their muscle bound lineup?)

It would be a shame if the game stopped producing the likes of Lou Brock, Rickey Henderson and others.

Can't wait for he new season to start especially with the new pitchers acquired, Severino and German returning, and the prospects that make the 25 man roster. Nothing has changed offensively, but that's not at all surprising.

I'm going to predict that Frazier makes the all star team this year.