2020 Yankees Post Mortem and 2020-21 Hot Stove thread

Tanaka never lived up to his hype. Just like most of the Japanese pitcher's that come over.
He was just OK. He had some good moments but not the ace they paid for. But they were robbed.
At least he didn't miss too many games.
Next..

I don't think any team wanted him. He was asking for 15 million for one year. Probably scared off everyone.

He was a good Yankee. Looked dominant the first year but after that just a solid mid rotation pitcher. He was 24-0 his last season in Japan before the Yankees signed him which at the time was a huge signing.

It makes sense not signing him.

billyS

Reign of Terror
He played all those years with a partial tear in his elbow. He looked terrible at the end of last year and it wouldn't surprise me if it was elbow related. TJ waiting to happen. In fact, since nobody was interested I'm sure there is an elbow issue.
That's why the Yankees let Pettite go to the Astros. They knew his elbow was about to blow.

Gardner or Jay Bruce?
I can't believe Bruce only has a .245 lifetime BA.
Bruce is younger, has more power and accepted a minor league deal but I'd rather have Gardner.
The sad reality is they’re both going to hit > .245- BG hitting .223 last season,.251 in 2019 and .236 in 2018.

Its bad enough judge and Stanton are going to be .250-.270 hitters (hoping for more from judge)

as much as BG is a fan favorite, I’d rather take someone who hits .300, gets on base and can steal (with younger, fresher legs)

Gardner or Jay Bruce?
I can't believe Bruce only has a .245 lifetime BA.
Bruce is younger, has more power and accepted a minor league deal but I'd rather have Gardner.
Bruce is a depth chip and unlikely to make the roster. The Yankees also signed Greg Allen who will be looking to make the team as an additional outfielder. It's becoming apparent that Gardy's days as a Yankee are numbered. Both Allen and Bruce are non-roster invitees to spring training.

billyS

Reign of Terror
All
Bruce is a depth chip and unlikely to make the roster. The Yankees also signed Greg Allen who will be looking to make the team as an additional outfielder. It's becoming apparent that Gardy's days as a Yankee are numbered. Both Allen and Bruce are non-roster invitees to spring training.
Allen is on the 40 man roster for now.
If they need to add someone I see him as a candidate to be DFA'd.

Gardner has to decide if playing for a million or so and retiring as a life long Yankee is worth it. He's gotten paid, now its time to take one for the team, come back and be that clubhouse voice and leader, and a part time fill in.

Bruce is another feast or famine bat, I don't get that signing, unless Ford's days are numbered. Gardner I would think fits in much better than Bruce at this point.

Allen I think is looked at as that Gardner "type" with the speed and defense.

Why are the Yankees looking at Wilson another lefty? Isn't it overkill with Britton and Chapman, I would think we need a right handed reliever to fill the void of Kahnle, maybe Rosenthal? Or maybe a backup starter with experience and potential like Tijuan Walker?

Am I missing something with the Wilson fascination??