2020 Mets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awful news for the Metro's, but Porcello and Wacha pitched almost as well as he has in past seasons.

Starting to think Syndergaard is more a name and novelty rather then a bona fide all star type of player. Sure, he is a beast body wise, but in order to be a pitcher, half of it is a chess game. It's not all raw power and speed of fastball. With good motion and deception, you can get guys out with a solid mix of slow stuff and some hard cheese.

He's one guy who defied the the laws of everything, in other words a freak of nature. Maybe toss Randy Johnson into that mix as well. Frank Tanana threw harder than anyone during his hey day and look how he did post Tommy John, not bad. Greg Maddux? Tommy Glavine? I am no DR. but the elbow and shoulder are not meant to throw 100 mph fastballs for 6 months a year / 100 plus pitches a game / with some of the torque they use these days.

I guess I am confused by your reply EB. Ryan was a freak of nature, a fucking unicorn in terms of health. Maybe he was double jointed, IDK. But overall, the human arm is not meant for the kind of abuse it receives when pitching the way the scouts want to see. Scouts today chase triple digit radar gun readings, spin rate, and physiques. FUCK THAT if I am a coach, use your mind first, use the power and torque when you need it, bottom line, hitters still make out 7 of 10 times. Keep that spin rate and 100 plus mph heat in your reserves until you need it.

Lot more kids trying to be Nolan Ryan or Randy Johnson and getting hurt, then trying to emulate Greg Maddux.

I still think Syndergaard is too big, muscly, and not flexible enough to pitch the way he does as a starter. He could be with that body type and approach a pretty sick closer for a few years for sure. But what do I know, I am no scout, just a hunch and opinion.

Agreed about him on the Astro's, but IDK. He has been so bad at times, or mediocre. Just in memory seems like he has come up less for them in big games then he has pitched big, maybe sans anything post season in 2015. But that was 4 seasons ago, for me with Syndergaard, it's time to shut up and produce. Yes, you're the Viking and would beat the shit out of 95% of the league, but its not ultimate fighting its baseball.

Sucks for him and Mets fans, I like him and agree his talent is salivating. Honestly, now is best time to get the surgery, at best we get a half season of games this year. So him, Severino, Sale, literally miss maybe what 1 full season, less or more depending on severity of injury. But why not do this earlier, like in the case with Severino, how can they not see the tear back in January, or end of season physicals. Tanaka has had a tear for like 6 years, although very small. But he has learned to pitch with it. Jeez, I fee like I am rambling on, Sorry.

Fingers Crossed we get some baseball in 2020 !!
I Would like to hear LW's opinion on Noah and the injury as he is a serious Met fan on this board.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Well that backs up my theory that anyone who throw 100 winds up needing TJ at some point.

Now about Ryan. There are some theories why he never needed TJ
First his legs. His legs were freakishly strong and generated all the power for his fast ball. His mechanics allowed his core and legs to take the brunt of the punishment. He worked out his legs to an extreme
Second, unlike kids today he didn't put a lot of stress on his arm early in his career.
There were no innings limit back in his day but he limited himself because of his poor control he was frequently pulled from games early.
He also missed time because of serving in the Army reserves during the Vietnam war.
So by the time he was throwing 300. + Innings his body was physically mature and could handle it.

billyS

Reign of Terror
He's done. Not sure what he gets paid if anything.

I don't blame him. Who would want to play for the Mets.
Jk.

He didn't do it right tho.
He didn't tell anyone. Just packed up and left.

Fuck him.
A's traded him in the middle of the season when they were in first place.
Boston dumped him after half a season as did the Tigers.
There was something up there, but because of what he did down the stretch in 2015 Mets listened to their fans and gave him a record contract.
How did that work out?
What did they get out of him over the length of that record contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.