2019 Yankees

billyS

Reign of Terror
also Yanks and Braves two finalists to sign Keuchel.I heard 1 yr $18 million...lol No way would I pay him that
It would be a pro-rated $18 mil so with a third of the season already gone it would be $12 mil.
You have to weigh that against trading prospects for Barmgartner (sp) or Stroman.
I was against giving him a longer deal over the winter but the way things are shaking out now I'd grab him for a one year deal.
Even if German bounces back from his last two starts he can't keeping starting all year because he has never thrown over 85 innings before.
The rest of the rotation is fragile.
Sign him now and by August he should be in a groove.

You may be right joey. But Gardner is gone after this year and we need a left fielder. He is the best of the kids and if he can be an adequate left fielder he would be a nice addition.

Not a huge keuchel fan but read that Yanks offered him $11 mil and Braves gave him $13 mil. So Yanks lose out on him for 2 mil? .What sucks bout that is now they have to give up prospects to get an arm.Keuchel would have just cost $$.

Personally, I would like to see the Yankees trade for Max Scherzer. The Nationals are going absolutely nowhere and will be sellers next month. I'm sure they would bite if Frazier was part of the deal and would compliment Soto and Robles in the Nats outfield.

Tarpley was great at the end of 2018 .... he made the club out of spring training but hen got lit up in the first couple of weeks. Looks like he is back to being good again. They like him. If he can keep that up he will stay.

Scherzer is due TONS of money. Plus he is older. I don't think he will take as much as some may think. Maybe 2-3 good prospects .. maybe something like Frazier and 2 top pitching prospects like Abreu and Loisaga. Or Florial and the two top pitchers. I would not have a problem doing that as long as Washington picked up some of the money.

I would rather Scherzer than Bumgarner.
I would rather trade Andujar, than Frazier. Lemay and Gio can handle 3B going forward.
Andujar would be good insurance to the Nats when they lose Rendon to FA next year.

billyS

Reign of Terror
We know Scherzer can pitch in the American League because he won a Cy Young with the Tigers. Not sure about Bumgarner. He might freak out the first time somebody hits a wall scraper to right off him at the stadium.
I think Stroman would be a good fit but Toronto would want more from the Yankees than from other teams.
Also I'd like to see them get something now instead of waiting for the deadline but the sellers are waiting it out.
I like the old days when the deadline was June 15.
So who remembers the deal with Baltimore in June 1976? Put us over the top.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Doyle Alexander? .. great in short term but if I remember ... that was where we lost Scott McGregor, Tippy Martinez and Rick Dempsey and more.
Okay but the Yankees hadn't been to the World Series in 12 years. At the time their biggest drought in their history. They saw the chance to trade kids for veterans so they went for it.
You have to give up something to get something.
They brought back in addition to Alexander, Ken Holtzman, Grant Jackson and Elrod Hendricks.

What people often forget about that trade is that hours before it, they had purchased Vida Blue from the A's.
Contrary to popular revisionist accounts, Bowie Kuen didn't revoke that sale, along with the Joe Rudi and Rollie Fingers to the Red Sox until a few days later.
So at the time of the Baltimore trade giving up McGreagor was more palatable knowing you had just aquired a in his prime Vida Blue.

And they won the pennant so it worked out for what they wanted.