2017 Yankees

It's that time of year again! We may not win it all in 2017 but I am hopeful of making the playoffs. The main goal though is to continue to develop the kids and get rid of as many bad contracts as possible. After 2017 A-Rods contract is gone and so is Sabathia's. Can they get rid of McCann's? Maybe but they would probably need to eat half of it. NOBODY is taking Elsbury. We are stuck with that one.

Hopefully - we can sign one or two good players to get us over the hump for 2018.

Odd that you say you are "hopeful of making the playoffs." When the Mets did that, you told us that was no big deal. Guess when the Mets do something it doesn't count, but if the Yanks do it then it's wonderful. Must be interesting living in your world.

It's that time of year again! We may not win it all in 2017 but I am hopeful of making the playoffs. The main goal though is to continue to develop the kids and get rid of as many bad contracts as possible. After 2017 A-Rods contract is gone and so is Sabathia's. Can they get rid of McCann's? Maybe but they would probably need to eat half of it. NOBODY is taking Elsbury. We are stuck with that one.

Hopefully - we can sign one or two good players to get us over the hump for 2018.
Maybe you should buy those 2017 World Series tickets now to avoid the rush?

Odd that you say you are "hopeful of making the playoffs." When the Mets did that, you told us that was no big deal. Guess when the Mets do something it doesn't count, but if the Yanks do it then it's wonderful. Must be interesting living in your world.
Winning the wild card is never a real goal. The goal is to win the world series. It's NICE to win the wild card .. but it should never mean trading away your future in order to get it. I would have been pissed if the Yankees held onto all their players and traded away their farm system to get a starting pitcher in order to make the wild card. Maybe they would have made it to hte wild card ... but ... SO WHAT? They would never go all the way .. and by holding onto all their players they would never have built up the second best farm system in baseball and their future would not look so hot.

Winning the wild card should never be the goal.

Maybe you should buy those 2017 World Series tickets now to avoid the rush?
I never said the Yankees would win it all in 2017. It is all about growing the kids ... maybe in 2018 we will win it all. Make no mistake though the Yankees are surely the team that will be on the back page the most in 2017!!!

Looks like Yankees get Chapman! I think locking down wins are important - especially for a young team. They will be decent but not a real contender in 2017. The 80- 85 wins they get they will need. I don't know if Betances is ready to be a closer. This gives the Yanks a strong back end of the bullpen.

PS - I don't like the Holiday signing. I would rather they give those at bats to a kid.

Looks like Yankees get Chapman! I think locking down wins are important - especially for a young team. They will be decent but not a real contender in 2017. The 80- 85 wins they get they will need. I don't know if Betances is ready to be a closer. This gives the Yanks a strong back end of the bullpen.

PS - I don't like the Holiday signing. I would rather they give those at bats to a kid.
I think holiday brings alot of leadership to the clubhouse with the departure of all the old guy's. And he was cheap. better than Beltran .

Last edited by a moderator:
I think signing Holliday was a smart decision by Cashman. He is the epitome of what the Yankees have done successfully over the years. He is smart ballplayer rarely strikeouts, takes pitches and works the count. I believe throughout his career he maintained a high OBP. I agree that the Yanks should give these young ballplayers a chance to develop. I was a bit surprised with the Chapman signing as I think the Yankees don't necessarily view themselves as contenders for at least a couple of years.

Chapman has eyed 2018 as the year the Yankees should be making the playoffs and being real contenders. I am guessing they want to sign one or two big stars in 2018 to kick off a new dynasty in 2019.

Chapman has eyed 2018 as the year the Yankees should be making the playoffs and being real contenders. I am guessing they want to sign one or two big stars in 2018 to kick off a new dynasty in 2019.
Yeah I have been hearing a lot on MLB Night that the 2018 Free Agent Market should be vast with talent. I believe this is when Bryce Harper will be a free agent. Quite scary the numbers that are being reported for this guy (10 years $400m +).He is not worth that kindof money in my opinion!!!

I really like some of the young pitchers. Green, Cessa, Severino, Kaprelian ... I might be missing one or two. Plus ... if Gleybor Torres will start the year in AA. If he plays well in AA - I say bring him up to play third and just get rid of Headley. He is just as mediocre as you can get.