2017 Mets

I would love to get Bruce back. Who knows now about Conforto...
You are absolutely right!!! I have last night game on DVR and will watch another dismal start by Harvey to assess his overall pitching. From what I have heard on the radio he was awful. Again just like many of the Met pitchers this year, he was plague with the inability to throw strikes. Nothing more frustrating when you see these guys come in from the bullpen, our starters aren't immune from this as well and they don't throw strikes. Montero has surprised me of late and is pitching much better but he too needs better control. At least he is keeping the ball down. Robles is a head scratch-er. He has good stuff but again the walks kill him and he doesn't get enough movement on his fastball. He is still young and they need to work with him more. I can write all day long about there pitching staff but I think Met fans know what I am saying.

You are absolutely right!!! I have last night game on DVR and will watch another dismal start by Harvey to assess his overall pitching. From what I have heard on the radio he was awful. Again just like many of the Met pitchers this year, he was plague with the inability to throw strikes. Nothing more frustrating when you see these guys come in from the bullpen, our starters aren't immune from this as well and they don't throw strikes. Montero has surprised me of late and is pitching much better but he too needs better control. At least he is keeping the ball down. Robles is a head scratch-er. He has good stuff but again the walks kill him and he doesn't get enough movement on his fastball. He is still young and they need to work with him more. I can write all day long about there pitching staff but I think Met fans know what I am saying.
Robles is , at best , an Oliver Perez reincarnation Remember the Good Ollie and the Bad Ollie ? Same thing with Robles except it is much more the Bad Robles than the Good Robles I am a very patient person but I turn off the broadcast when he comes into the game since I know ahead of time that there is big trouble ahead once he steps on the mound so why suffer watching it I think we all have to take a step back and give Harvey more time and more a chance He is coming off several severe surgeries Had any of us had several surgeries that affected our job performance we would be much more understanding So we can not judge him unless we are walking in his cleats Lagares is an invaluable centerfielder Did you see him throw out the runner at third base last night? His hitting is improving and he has good speed on the bases Yes to re signing Bruce I think Cespedes is going to be a dud Perhaps trade him for something really good ?

I agree pet2 that more lately Robles performance has been really bad. Ollie did suck with us and seems to do pretty well with the Nats especially when we face him. I hope you are wrong about Cespedes but I know there are others who believe in your statement. Lagares is a helluva center fielder and his bat is improving. Too bad he can't put more balls over the fence. I happen to like Nimmo and his OBP but again he too is not a guy that hits for power. Great guy off the bench.

Re sign Reyes to play second base? Pick up Cabreraz option to play third base? Both seem to be pretty solid at these positions and both have been hitting well since August 1 Spend money on other needs by doing this Any comments?

Re sign Reyes to play second base? Pick up Cabreraz option to play third base? Both seem to be pretty solid at these positions and both have been hitting well since August 1 Spend money on other needs by doing this Any comments?
Cabrera has shown some flexibility in playing 2nd, ss and 3rd which I like. He is hitting very well over the last month. Defensively he has lost a step and the Mets have an option for $8.5 for next year. With the limited availability in the free agency market I agree that keeping he might be a wise decision. Reyes since the all star break has also performed well offensively. I think he is a good influence and mentor to Rosario which might be equally important. Reyes defensive skills have diminished quite a bit which has been noticeable at ss. If they can pick him up cheap and for 1 year only he too might be a good signing. The Mets will also need to determine the overall health of TJ Rivera who is coming off TJ Surgery and how this may affect his defense. We haven't had a chance to see to much of Evans at 3rd base to see what he can do. Most of their young ball player look pretty good in the field and the question comes whether or not these guys can hit consistently. All the hype surrounding Rosario this year, I have to say he is somewhat of a disappointment. Defensively he has made some bone head plays and offensively he is to much of a free swinger. I do like his speed and he has shown some power. I grant you that he is a young player and he has the making to be very good all around player but he really needs to be more selective at the plate a problem that plagued Reyes in his early years. Smith at first on the other hand shows a lot of plate discipline and knows the strike zone. Right now I have more confidence in him offensively and he too can be a very good defensive ball player. He needs to get in better shape though.

As previously stated in the thread I watch almost every Met game. Last night only interested in seeing how Harvey pitches since my Giants were playing which I will leave that for another discussion. Although it has probably been a while but it is safe to say that the Dark Knight is no longer that same arrogant cocky pitcher he once was. Years ago every Met fan knew that his time as a Met was limited until his year of free agency and then he was gone. Watching him pitch since his return I am speechless. He is pitching to a 13+ ERA and his WHIP must be in the high 2's. Really I think the Met organization has a difficult decision to make at the end of the year whether or not to tender him a contract. He is eligible for arbitration of course but how much is this guy worth? I think he was making around $5m this year. Does he have the ability, the mindset and confidence to change his game? The way he is pitching right now, next year can be his last year as a pitcher at the major league level if the Mets tender him a contract. Yes I do think someone would pick him up on the cheap for 1 year. As far as the Mets starting rotation goes he has to be their greatest concern even more then Matz who can't stay healthy.

It really is amazing just 2 years ago how great he was pitching off of TJ Surgery and today he is just a modicum of those yesteryear's.

As previously stated in the thread I watch almost every Met game. Last night only interested in seeing how Harvey pitches since my Giants were playing which I will leave that for another discussion. Although it has probably been a while but it is safe to say that the Dark Knight is no longer that same arrogant cocky pitcher he once was. Years ago every Met fan knew that his time as a Met was limited until his year of free agency and then he was gone. Watching him pitch since his return I am speechless. He is pitching to a 13+ ERA and his WHIP must be in the high 2's. Really I think the Met organization has a difficult decision to make at the end of the year whether or not to tender him a contract. He is eligible for arbitration of course but how much is this guy worth? I think he was making around $5m this year. Does he have the ability, the mindset and confidence to change his game? The way he is pitching right now, next year can be his last year as a pitcher at the major league level if the Mets tender him a contract. Yes I do think someone would pick him up on the cheap for 1 year. As far as the Mets starting rotation goes he has to be their greatest concern even more then Matz who can't stay healthy.

It really is amazing just 2 years ago how great he was pitching off of TJ Surgery and today he is just a modicum of those yesteryear's.
So, looking at the bright side. Harvey still wants to go out there and pitch. I read where other players, who had his surgery took a full year to recover and play the way before surgery. That will take us into next season. Lets see Harvey next year. He mat surprise us... I know wishful thinking

So, looking at the bright side. Harvey still wants to go out there and pitch. I read where other players, who had his surgery took a full year to recover and play the way before surgery. That will take us into next season. Lets see Harvey next year. He mat surprise us... I know wishful thinking
Those are safe moves. I agree with Reyes. Cabrera has that 8.5 team option, but if they dont pick it up, they pay him 2 Million, so it seems even cheaper to re sign him. Unless you get a big 3rd basemen. I think you have to resign Bruce or go get a legit 3rd basement.

Unfortunately the sampling size of pitchers having Thoracic Outlet Syndrome surgery is quite small maybe 6 or 7. Some of the pitchers who had this surgery was much further in their career in there mid 30's. They still don't have a feel as to how long a recovery is needed. Maybe you are right that a year post surgery for full recovery.

These surgeries certainly have humbled Matt Harvey and honestly I feel for the guy.Not doubt the frustrations after the game talking to reporters has to be so difficulty. I can remember during the season when DeGrom had a stretch of 6-8 poor starts. Collins was seen putting his arm around him and talking to console him. I believe I saw tears in his eyes. It is tough when nothing is going right. I haven't seen that same fatherly respond to Harvey perhaps the relationship is different. But he can certainly do with some loving that is for sure. I agree LW, I give him credit with his willingness to go out on the mound and finish the season. Unfortunately the only way out of this is to pitch and to keep going over game films to determine what he is doing wrong. His wild pitches that he has delivered is no doubt the result of this surgery. It would probably do him a world of good to continue pitching during the off season somewhat. It should be interesting to hear what his plan is after the season to get healthy.

Btw, I think having Syndergaard not pitch this season if only an inning or two is a good thing.

The Mets also need to sign a first baseman Dominck Smith is not only out of shape , but his hitting ability is alot less than mediocre Perhaps Jay Bruce can be re signed and play first base

The Mets also need to sign a first baseman Dominck Smith is not only out of shape , but his hitting ability is alot less than mediocre Perhaps Jay Bruce can be re signed and play first base
You know Smith will be the first basemen next season. You cant judge him on this small sampling, and get rid of him.

I cannot agree with you on the merits of Dom Smith as the first baseman next season From 2 months of watching him , I do not feel that he is a spectacular fielder or even an above average fielder Nor do I feel his hitting ability is anything to write home about . He is also out of shape and seems very unmotivated with no enthusiasm exhibited
I also am wondering who people would choose as the backup catcher for next season...Plawecki or DArnot ? At this point, I would have to lean towards Plawecki . And get rid of Darnot by trading him for another unknown prospect . He cannot hit nor does he field well So Plawecki as backup and get someone new for the starting catcher is my idea right now

I cannot agree with you on the merits of Dom Smith as the first baseman next season From 2 months of watching him , I do not feel that he is a spectacular fielder or even an above average fielder Nor do I feel his hitting ability is anything to write home about . He is also out of shape and seems very unmotivated with no enthusiasm exhibited
I also am wondering who people would choose as the backup catcher for next season...Plawecki or DArnot ? At this point, I would have to lean towards Plawecki . And get rid of Darnot by trading him for another unknown prospect . He cannot hit nor does he field well So Plawecki as backup and get someone new for the starting catcher is my idea right now
So you want Bruce there who has never played first base. You think he can field? Makes no sense. I would love to get Bruce back but to play Right.

Hey lightweight I agree with your sentiments. Dominic Smith is our first basement next year. I disagree with pet2 and his assessment of his fielding ability. He is a very good fielder IMHO and what I do like about him is that he has plate discipline. Everyone needs to remember he is just 22 years old and you need to give him time to develop. Now with his hitting he has looked very vulnerable against southpaws and sometimes he takes too many strikes without swinging. Nimmo is also guilty of this. I think he has portrayed in his brief stint to have decent power and could hit 25 - 30 home runs in a full season. I grant you he needs to get himself in better shape which may happen as he matures.

As far as catching is concerned both Darnaud and Plawecki will be catching next season. Darnaud bat has improved and his defensive skills has also improved behind the plate. You can't necessarily blame the catchers for most of the stolen bases as most Met pitchers do a poor job in holding the runners close. For playing 60% - 70% of the games I think Darnaud had a decent year. In yesterday's game Syndergaard looked great!!! I feel sorry for Flexen! He is a young guy around 23 that was moved up because they had no other arms to rely on and he had a very good year in high A and for their double AA affiliate. He has no business pitching at this level and hopefully this hasn't affected his confidence for future years. So many of the arms they had in their bullpen had no business pitching at this level.

I believe that they are NOT going to make any major changes to their starters and hope that come next year that everyone is healthy and stays healthy for the entire season. I could see them reach out and try and get 1 starting pitching that could eat innings for them and then use the free agency to bolster their bullpen. I agree lightweight regarding the resigning of Bruce to play right field. I think he can be had for a reasonable price and lets face it, it is all about the money when we are talking about the Mets. JD Martinez with the Diamondbacks is also a free agent but I think his price tag might be too high for the Mets to consider.

Many Met fans wants to get rid of Darnaud which is fine I get it, although I do think he improved quite a bit over his last season and I am okay with keeping him. Those who want to get rid of him, who are they looking to trade or sign in free agency to replace him?

Mets will lose 100 games in 2018.
It all comes down to the health of their pitchers and there everyday players. Definitely trades are needed to bolster the team in many aspects but I would be surprised if they lose 100 games next season. I am sure most baseball people before the season started had the Mets as a playoff team. Injuries was the key reason as to why they failed. I know you are not a fan of the Mets just like Mr. Wiggley but you aren't a bit objective when it comes to this team.

I am NY Giants fan who would have thought that they would have started the season 0-4? Of course die hard Jets are celebrating their 2-2 record and the dismal play of the Giants thus far.

LISteve did you honestly think the Yankees were a playoff team this year and was going to win over 90 games? Nobody thought this!!! How many games will they win next season? What if the fate of the Mets injuries bestow upon the Yankees and they become the walking wounded? Can the Yankees lose 100 games? I wish the Yankees well this post season although I don't think they are the best team in baseball this year.

Home run totals are deceptive There is an all time high in homers this season due to multiple reasons Such as , juiced baseballs , different stitching on balls , low mound , and little league sized dimensions like in Yankee Stadium I would take a grain of salt with Dom Smiths' totals and every other players totals But Jay Bruce is consistently in the 30 to 35 range every season so he can be counted on and should be the only reliable power bat in the lineup next yearId trade Matt Harvey to the Yanks for their catcher It should benefit both teams