2016 Yankees

1. Treating pitchers with kid gloves in the new norm. Mets pitchers aren't any different when it comes to pitch count and innings limits. Some of the Mets announcers were saying that this doesn't allow them to stretch out their arms the way that pitchers used to. Then again, some pitchers like Koufax blew themselves out well before their prime. Koufax comes to mind.
The pitchers of yesteryear's had no pitch count and pitched often with little to no rest.. Just look at some of the greats like Cy Young, Walter Johnson, Warren Spahn and Christy Mathewson. Not long ago SNY was interviewing Tom Seaver and he spoke about when he got a 100 pitches his arm was finally loosening up. Just look at the innings pitched by many pitchers in the 1980's.How many complete games are pitched these days? I know that every year the number of complete games pitch lessens.

Tough call on Koufax .. the guy threw 300 innings a year before the arthritis was too much.

The Mets rotation has been particularly delicate. They ALL have arm problems.

Say what you will about the Yankees rotation but Tanaka, CC and Pineda made 30 starts.
The difference LISteve is that the Yankees had no pitching depth. These guys had to pitch because there was no one else they could give the ball to. Just look at those 3 pitchers stats for last year, only Tanaka had a good year. Look at the rest of your starting staff Eovaldi (21 starts), Nova (15 starts) and then Severino (11 starts). By the way Syndergaard had 30 starts !!!

I can't believe there are many people including Yankee fans that think that the Yankees have a stronger pitching rotation than the Mets!!! You place too much emphasis on starts. Like I have repeatedly stated that the Mets DOESN'T need any of their starters to make 30 starts when you have a plethora of very good pitchers!!! The Yankees clearly don't.

Syndegard is the only one with 30 starts and he finished with bone chips or a bone spur in his elbow. He is undergoing offseason surgery.

I am not comparing the quality of arms ..... Being a great pitcher is useless if you can't pitch.

The Mets starters all had arm problems ... ALL OF THEM.

It is very possible the Yankees have a better staff next year simply because it is completely possible that the Mets staff average about 10 starts a piece next year.

Again ... talk to me when these guys last an entire year and win at least 15 games.

Syndegard is the only one with 30 starts and he finished with bone chips or a bone spur in his elbow. He is undergoing offseason surgery.

I am not comparing the quality of arms ..... Being a great pitcher is useless if you can't pitch.

The Mets starters all had arm problems ... ALL OF THEM.

It is very possible the Yankees have a better staff next year simply because it is completely possible that the Mets staff average about 10 starts a piece next year.

Again ... talk to me when these guys last an entire year and win at least 15 games.
The last I heard is that Syndergaard DOESN'T require surgery!!! Also the other Mets pitcher who had 30 or more starts is Colon. By the way Colon had a better year then all but Tanaka on your team. Not bad for a 43 year old!!! Oh yeah, Yankee pitching might be better next year like you said. Ha Ha!!!!

So according to you ANYONE who has surgery should be considered a damaged player incapable of having a good year or career for that matter. Sabathia who had surgery on his knee to help support his 300 pound frame doesn't count because it isn't his arm? So your legs aren't important when you pitch? Tanaka if I am not mistaken also had ELBOW surgery. Pineda had SHOULDER surgery in the past. Since Syndergaard isn't having surgery does it still count that he has arm problems and is part of "all of them"? By the way our other 2 pitchers Lugo and Gsellman (not his throwing arm) haven't had arm surgery. So I guess "ALL OF THEM"is a false statement!!!

I find your statements to be quite comical!!! By the way, the Mets young starters this year averaged more than 10 starts.To think that they won't next year is pretty funny!!! How you were able to type that sentence without laughing out loud must have been hard not to do. You speak so highly about Sanchez and how great a ballplayer he will be when he hasn't even played half a season. Meanwhile, all the Mets young pitchers are broken and will never be able to pitch again. Even if they were to lose 2 of their young talented pitchers they will still have 6 others they can turn too. If the Yankees were to lose two of their quality pitchers they would be screwed.

Oh Assman ... Tanaka had minor surgery to clean up a bone spur before the 2016 season. He did not miss time .. and neither should Syndegard. However ... your great rotation is indeed fragile and it was supposed to be dominant in 2016. It wasn't. Good luck with yur team next year ... you are going top need it.

And .... PS .... you shouldn't be bragging about making more than 10 starts in a season. That's not the goal.

And let's see what happens Assman ... sounds like you got like 10 Cy Young candidates there. I guess you guys are easily going to win it all!

Oh Assman ... Tanaka had minor surgery to clean up a bone spur before the 2016 season. He did not miss time .. and neither should Syndegard. However ... your great rotation is indeed fragile and it was supposed to be dominant in 2016. It wasn't. Good luck with yur team next year ... you are going top need it.

And .... PS .... you shouldn't be bragging about making more than 10 starts in a season. That's not the goal.

And let's see what happens Assman ... sounds like you got like 10 Cy Young candidates there. I guess you guys are easily going to win it all!
I am just stating many pitchers today have had arm problems that have required surgery. Just because they get TJ surgery or to remove a bone spur/chip doesn't mean that they are subjected to a lifetime of arm problems. You stated, "The Mets starters all had arm problems...ALL OF THEM", which isn't true of course. How many pitchers today who are starters that throw 95+ haven't had arm problems at some point in there career? Not many I am sure.

By the way, everyone of the Mets starters pitched greater than 10 starts with exception to the two rookies and Wheeler who was out the entire year.

The Yankees have one pitcher that may someday vie for a Cy Young; the Mets on the other hand have many!!! You are just to blindsided to see it!!! Even Mike Francesa (WFAN), a Yankee Lover, raves and praises how great the Mets pitching staff is. You just can't be HONEST.

Ugh .... You can have TJ surgery and be fine.

All I am saying is that I want to see these guys you are bragging about now for a couple of years to pitch a full season and pitch well. They don't seem able to do that.

STOP bragging until they do it.

They have the talent ... can they overcome how delicate they are?

Tanaka is an ace and CC is decent and Pineda seems to be able to take the ball now for 30 starts. Not as good talent wise ... but they can pitch. Let's see what happens next year.

Time will tell.

I look forward to quoting this very post at the end of next year!

I think there was some guy named Tommy John who had a very good career before and after some surgery. Was he damaged goods, too?
If memory serves me correct he also pitched for a very good Yankee(s) team and put up great numbers post surgery!!! Just look at his numbers in 1979 and 1980!!! Where would the Yankees have been without him in 1979? Your argument regarding the Mets starters requiring arm surgery and will be lucky to make 10 starts on average next year is without merit. I understand that you hate the Mets and that you wish them hardships but we are all trying to have an intelligent dialogue regarding baseball. Hatred for a team shouldn't diminish your response to many of these issues!!!

Assman ... most of these guys have not been able to pitch a full season EVER !!!! EVER !!!!

Stop bragging on them until they can!!

My argument has OOOOOODLES of merit ... because they haven't been able to stay on the mound at all!!!!!!

My arguments are sensible and are not made because I hate the Mets.

I really don't hate them ... I just find them annoying. They cause me very little grief. They had their chance to give me grief in 2000 - but we know how that went!

Assman ... most of these guys have not been able to pitch a full season EVER !!!! EVER !!!!

Stop bragging on them until they can!!

My argument has OOOOOODLES of merit ... because they haven't been able to stay on the mound at all!!!!!!

My arguments are sensible and are not made because I hate the Mets.

I really don't hate them ... I just find them annoying. They cause me very little grief. They had their chance to give me grief in 2000 - but we know how that went!
Harvey, Syndergaard, DeGrom and Wheeler have all pitched full seasons. I know some of these guys haven't had your prerequisite 30 starts. Matz has a little more than a year experience and of course the two replacement pitchers as they are commonly called has had a brief stint like your pitching stud Miller.

I am not bragging about the Mets pitchers I am just stating the facts, you know their pitching stats. I grant you that all of these guys are relatively young and haven't had lustrous careers. But their pitching stats are very impressive at this early stage of their careers!!!!

The one thing you are consistent with however is bringing up the PAST!!!

Watching Andrew Miller pitching this post season.He has been untouchable 7 2/3 ip with 14 k's. amazing how Toronto's offense only scored 1 run in 2 games vs the Indians. ,,,wish Yanks kept Miller

I know it has been a long time since the Indians last won the championship series (1948) but I am rooting for the Cubs (1908). I think many of us baseball fans were a little surprise to see what the Indians have accomplished this year during the post season. The Cubs overall has had the best (team) season and is most deserving!!!