2016 METS

Why you only going back to '79? go back to '77 and add 2 more championships('77 and '78) so if you wanna get technical(obviously you are) that's 7 in 39 years-with 22 trips to the playoffs in that span. Beats 0 for 30 yrs(and counting) anyday!

First off, the Yankee fans started this dialogue by knocking the Mets. And as far as I see, the knock was that the Mets are not any good, they're falling apart, and the Yankees are building a better team. So, any argument about the dynasty that was is meaningless. The Yankees started many, many, many years before the Mets. They had ownership that was willing to spend. I already conceded the Yankees HAD a dynasty, so to beat it to death is a giant nothing.

My issue with the Yankee fans is that after the Mets have gone on to the post-season two years in a row (for only the second time in their history), you guys are dismissing it as meaningless. Doesn't it take the second year to start a dynasty. Give it a chance already.

I think the big reason the Yankee fans are ranting in here is that the Red Sox made it the playoffs while the Yankees didn't. Since there is no Red Sox thread to rant in, they came over here to bitch.

And that argument about the National League being an inferior league is hogwash as long as there isn't parity with the DH. The DH takes a lot of decisions out of the hands of the manager. There's no bunting. No yanking starters for a pinch hitter. No double switching. NL managers have it a lot harder. And their teams score less runs as a result.

Some of the argruments you two guys are posting here are baseless and you should abandon them. You're starting to embarrass yourselves.

The two of you act like the Yankees are the only team that made some moves. Yes, the Yankees did well by shedding salary and bringing up some talent. Some of that talent is stellar. All well and good for them. But just because the Yankees made some good moves doesn't diminish the moves the Mets made. You guys are so one-sided in your thinking that you can't see the other side.

That one was actually funny. No foul there.

I shouldn't really lump you in with LISteve. You don't have the same bite in your comments that he does.

Latest news is that Wilmer Flores is having surgery on his injured wrist. Add him to the walking wounded who have gone under the knife. Wonder if this is a record number of surgeries for a team in a single season.

Better record by a cople of games is meaningless. Especially when you consider how much better the AL is than the NL.

Last year the Mets were abel to go far on the backs of some fairly healthy starting pitching. That has deteriorated. The strength of their team is now a gigantic question mark.

Yankees have the 2nd best farm system in the majors as a result of trading off their veterans.

I will take the entire Yankee infield over the Mets infield.

The outfield is unknown. Right now it is probably a tossup ... especially if Cespedes is gone. Grandyman is decent but so are Gardner and Elsbury. The Yankees have about 3 or 4 rookies to compete for RF. I don't even know who the MEts have ... Conforto? Nimmo? they aren't that great. Cespedes is the best of the lot but he may be gone

I will take the Yankees rotation over the mets as you have at least 3 veteran healthy arms. You have a couple of rookies who are healthy but the entire rotation that you started the season with is hurt.

The MEts probably have a better regular season bullpen ... but Familia is now labeled a choker due to blowing three world series games and this year.

In summary - BOth teams had similar seasons but the Yankees are clearly on the rise and the Mets are a leaking boat ... sinking.

Any wager that the Mets rotatin comes back and they all make 30 starts?

How many will make 30?

I will bet that only one starter out of Thor, Matz, Harvey, Wheeler and DeGrom will make 30 starts.

There are alot of teams that wish they had that Wildcard game- even though the Mets lost -the Tigers,Cards, Mariners all"just missed" they all wish they colul have got in ...even though it was just 1 game.Yanks and Mets should both have good seasons next year barring injuries(guess you can say that for alot of teams)

"Better record by a cople of games is meaningless."
That is the funniest thing you've ever said on here. I'm sure the Cardinals aren't feeling that way, finishing out of the running by just a game.

I can't wait until the same time next year to see just how wrong you are. But for the record, neither I nor the other lone Mets fan standing here with me has gone off into a discussion of comparing the Yankees roster versus the Mets. So many things can happen between now and the spring that it's ridiculous to even ponder it. What I do find most laughable is that in the heyday of the Yankees dynasty, Mets fans would only have the thought about better days to come with a stellar minor league in development. To hear that same premise coming from the mouth of a Yankee fan is truly sad to see. :(

I guess many here think winning the second wild card is meaningful. All it does is make you stick to the same plan in building your team which usually gets you nowhere. Thank God Cashman smartened up and decided to rebuild as opposed to trade for additional pieces to try to win a wild card.

I too can't wait till next year Banacek. How many of your starters will make 30 starts next year?

Let's get it on record.

I say one.

I say none, as we will have an eight man rotation: DeGrom, Matz, Syndergaard, Harvey, Wheeler, Colon, Lugo, Gsellman.
The Mets miraculously made it to the next round. That's 2 years in a row.
Just wait till next year!
Then we will see who is the better team without the whining and bitching.

I am not a Met fan but NO WAY am i offering 17 million to Neil Walker! Banacek and Assman18 what do you guys think?
It would be an insult to Mets' fans to pay that to Walker after passing on Murphy last year. Especially since Bruce's option was even less than that. (But I suspect owners did that only to be able to trade him or as a hedge against Cespedes leaving.)

We all knew Murphy could hit, not to the degree he did this year,but we also knew he was a terrible base runner and not a very good good fielder. The Walker situation is interesting in offering him $17.2. We have TJ Rivera who has shown that he can hit major league pitching during his brief stint in the majors. We have Reyes and Flores who can also man second and third base should Wright continues having issues with his back or neck. Walker is very good ball player, he is a very good fielder, smart on the base path although he has limited speed and is a very good bat for a second basement. Extending him a qualifying offer at least gets them a draft pick should he sign with another team. I agree with Banacek that the Mets are posturing until they have a clearer outlook on Cespedes. If I was management as soon as Cespedes opts out of his contract I would make a serious offer to retain him. He wants 5 -6 years and he is to important for them to play around and see what other teams are willing to spend because you know someone will offer him a ridiculous contract. Although I agree with LISteve that the 4 year $100M is a good offer, I would go the extra year because that is what he wants and make it $125m. At the end of this agreement he will be 37 and perhaps he is still playing well. We all know that these long term contracts rarely pay off for the teams. He is to big a piece to allow him to sign elsewhere, especially to a National League rival team such as the Giants, Cardinals or the Marlins. The Marlins apparently has interest because of the large Cuban influence in South Miami and Fernandez is death. Miami ownership as we know likes to spend money foolishly so that is of concern. Also, we can't rule out the Nationals who had offered him a contract last year.

We also need to look at our possible lineup for next year. Granderson, Bruce and Duda are all power left handed bats. If Cespedes and Walker get away our right handed bats are Cabrera, Wright, Reyes, Flores, Darnaud and Rivera. Nobody knows what Wright will be able to do with his back and neck issues. Another reason why the organization needs to be careful on how they handle this situation.

The more I think about it I would sign both guys. Granderson, Bruce, Cabrera, Reyes and Duda will all have 1 year left in their contracts. Wright is a question mark for third base. What if due to health reasons he can't play third or any position for that matter? The Mets have prospects in the minor league that will be playing short and first in 2 - 3 years. Granderson most likely will retire after next year and I guess if Bruce performs well the Mets will try and sign him to a long term contract to play right. I think they need to look beyond next year to see the bigger picture as to how they see the team in 2018 and 2019. Of course they have all these young arms that they will need to decide who they will keep starting around the end of 2018.

Agreed it is a smart move on a qualifying offer to get a draft pick. And that TJ Rivera or Reyes are a good hedge for second if Walker leaves.
Biggest problem that I see that is plaguing the Mets since the days of Piazza and Lo Duca is the lack of a catcher that can hit.
Maybe we can trade Bruce for one. He definitely does not appear to be cut out for New York.
And now we have to worry also about a closer since Familia will probably be hit with a suspension.