2016 METS

I was waiting for someone else to start the new season here, but grew tired of the wait.

So let me be the first to express his disappointment at the Mets' dismal start. Two of the young arms have not been living up to their potential. That being Harvey and Matz. On the other hand, Syndergaard and deGrom were both stellar in their season debuts.

Bartolo Colon's first start also stands out to me, even though he wound up with a loss, for the length he went and his over-the-shoulder catch of a pop-up. You can't fault him for losing 1-zip.

Also noteworthy is that Mets' starting pitchers, who are considered good hitters in comparison to other pitchers, have yet to get a hit.

What a reversal from the beginning of the month to now. Guess it just took awhile for their bats to warm up. Starters still spotty, but the bullpen has been solid. A game out, but team has 4th best record in the majors.

Anyone else think Newsday has a bias for the Yankees over the Mets? Before dropping into second (and now third after last night) during this road trip, the Mets had a consistent run where they were in the top 5 in the MLB standings while the Yanks were in the bottom 5. After even with that descent, the Mets still have a wild card spot. The Yanks, on the other hand, are hopelessly lost in last, though their record has somewhat improved.
Day after day, I saw the Yanks getting much more coverage in Newsday than the Mets, with double the pages of newsprint on some days. Today is similar, with the Yanks having 4 pages in a row. Plus, the Yanks seem to always lead the sports section at the back whenever baseball is taking precedent on days when hockey and basketball didn't have finals. Even more prominently, the Yankees made the back cover again.

Swept by the Rockies. Heading home with our tail between our legs.
This series could prove pivotal down the pennant stretch. If so, part of the blame for last 2 games goes to the umps for blown calls.

Bleak outlook for our team if the starting pitching continues like this. Seems that the hitters have Harvey's number and the pitchers have Conforto's. Guess it was just a matter or time until the league caught up with them. As for Wright and Colon, I think that age is catching up with them. Of course, Wright's back issue is the contributing factor there. But then again, back problems are part of aging.

They have to start being less dependent on this pitching staff and their future while also embracing it. Get them signed now Thor DeGrom and Matz. Harvey will always need to be the superstar I am never fond of. He is more in the Yankee way.
Right now it looks like he is going through the dead arm (stuff wise not mph) that Straussberg went through last year. The Nats sat him down for a month and he finished last year strong and has seemed returned to his contract worthy form. If/when Harvey does let him show it for a couple months if not the season, then blockbuster trade for him and get a superstar back
Problem is they can't muff that trade on what they get back

What's the over/under, as Sllinky would say, that Matt Harvey goes down to the minors to straighten himself out. How much more can we have this guy lose meaningful games to our rivals?

I urge all Mets fans to get out the vote for the two players who deserve to make the trip to the All-Star Game. Cespedes, of course, is one.
I think Walker should be there, too. But I'm afraid that Murph and Zobrist are too much competition.

They talk about him like he's the second coming of Seaver. Harvey has a single complete game in 74 appearances. Seaver had 231 over 20 years. So much for the argument that complete games wear an arm out. These billion dollar babies are babied too much, IMHO.

I think it would be best to leave Utley alone.
Too late for that. They poked the bear and he certainly woke up. Bad move on their part. Clearly cost them a game. Maybe two with Utley's contributions yesterday. My hat's off to the guy. He's a pro.
Terry seems to be letting things get away from him. He should have implicitly warned the staff to absolutely in no way retaliate. Also, he's been leaving Familia in for far too long. And what's with batting Cespedes third and Walker cleanup yesterday?