2006 World Series of Poker: Early Hands

Because of the 8000+ participants in this event "Day 1" was split into 4 starting days, for a quarter of the field each day. These hands were all in the first half-hour of play on each day (adapted from Cardplayer.com):

From Day 1A:

On a flop of Tc 7c 5s, Tim Rod bets $300 and his opponent raises to $600. Rod calls and the turn puts the 3c on the board. Rod again bets out with $1,500 and is again raised by his opponent to $4,000. Rod calls and the river puts the 3s on the board. Rod pushes all-in and his opponent immediately calls. Rod flips up Kc Qc for a turned flush. His opponent says, "Do I have a straight flush? Oh, no I don't," as he shows 8d 6s for no pair, ten-high, 8 kicker. The dude called an all-in with no pair, ten-high, 8 kicker!

From Day 1B:

On the very first hand of the day, Greg Nunley raises to $225 and Mark Lawlor re-raises to $600. Nunley re-raises to $1,500 and Lawlor makes it $3,000 to go. Nunley goes all-in and Lawlor makes the call. Nunley shows KcKd and Lawlor shows AhAd. The board comes Jh Tc 2d 7s 3d, and Nunley is the first elimination of the day.

From Day 1C:

On a board of 9d 6d 5c 2s, Tuan Le's opponent bets $1,500 and Le calls. The river is the 7h. Le's opponent bets $3,000. Le calls and shows Jc Js. His opponent shows Ks Qs and Le rakes in the pot, bringing him to $17,000 in chips.

From Day 1D:

A player under-the-gun calls, the small blind calls and Jimmy Tian checks in the big blind. The flop comes Qc Jh 8d and Tian bets $75. The player under-the-gun calls and the small blind folds. The turn is the Ad and Tian bets $150. The opponent raises to $500, Tian reraises to $1,500, and the opponent moves all-in. Tian calls and shows Th 9s for the straight while his opponent shows 8s 8c for a set. The 7c falls on the river and the first elimination of the day occurs.

Does anyone know the prize money payout yet??? There is almost 85,000,000 MM in the Prize pool...If this was done like a regular tournament, 1st place would be over 17,000,000 bucks...Not to shaby...

mitchmaxx said:
Does anyone know the prize money payout yet??? There is almost 85,000,000 MM in the Prize pool...If this was done like a regular tournament, 1st place would be over 17,000,000 bucks...Not to shaby...
The payout structure should be available today (maybe at the end of the day?).... I can't find it yet though.

Rumor has it that they are capping 1st place at a "measley" $11,000,000 though, no matter how many entrants + alternates ultimately play.

was fossilman Greg Raimer from the Net??? I started playing in live games for the last month or so, and after the initial STUPID moves, due to lack of live experience, I have come to really love live games...

Although Raymer did play on the internet, he was a pretty well respected live tournament player at Foxwoods before he won the big one in 2004.

mitchmaxx said:
First place is $12,000,000.

mitchmaxx said:
was fossilman Greg Raimer from the Net??? I started playing in live games for the last month or so, and after the initial STUPID moves, due to lack of live experience, I have come to really love live games...

i started out live then played on the net. never for money. but there is nothing like playing live something about being in a race, all-in and all eyes on you

Waterclone said:
Sadly, I won't be one of em. Made it to 10pm on Day 1d.

Still, having a great time. Wish you all were here. :)
Sorry to hear you busted out on Day 1. But glad to hear you are having a great time.

Any hands that were turning points for you?

Did you ever build up a sizable stack? Did you play w/ any known pros?

What was your strategy going in.... and what, if anything, would you have done differently if you could do it over again?

Cool, thanks for the link.

So, that's 12 instant millionaires, with 10% of the field cashing.

----

I would imagine, with all the players who satellited in for cheap, when the players start getting down to the bubble, perhaps with about 1000 players left, there are going to be HUGE opportunities to build your chipstack by stealing blinds, etc. I would imagine each table is going to have at least a couple of players trying to "fold" their way into a $14,597 payday (and be able to say "I cashed in the main event").

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
Answers.

1. How did I bust? My AJ didn't hold up against AK. :)
The only reason I got all in with AJ was that I was very short at the time. My M was less than 10. Everyone folded around to a loose player who had been raising many pots. He raised it, I saw AJ suited and pushed. He actually had a hand. No regrets.

2. Turning points? Well, there were 2 hands that crippled me. Both times I was the big blind and saw the flop for free. Never a good thing. My 2 pair ended up being no good. Twice! Argh!

3. I got an OK stack during level 1. Had AA or KK about 7 or 8 times in that period, but my table was very tight and only got action once. And then, only a little. The most chips I ever had was about 20k.

4. Never got to play with a recognizable pro. My only unfulfilled goal.

5. Strategy was to play tight. Don't bluff the first day. Too many donks who will call you down with bottom pair. I'd keep it the same, I think. I don't think I played poorly. Just had the bad fortune to catch 2nd best with crap cards when I saw free flops.

Will definitely come back.

Thanks for the answers, Waterclone.... Despite the bust-out, sounds like you had a good run.... (hopefully the side games were juicy? or the women, at least?)

Waterclone said:
big blind and saw the flop for free. Never a good thing. My 2 pair ended up being no good. Twice! Argh!
The exact thing happened to me last night online early in a multitable tourney and I'm still reeling from it.
I have 74s in the BB, I call an all-in on a 7 4 2 board from a guy that has QQ. Turn and river are 9 9 and my two pair is no good. Argh!

clone so im still not clear you won a satelitte to get in correct. and it just sounds like it wasnt your time. with a tight table you have to be loose and steal the blinds where you can that is a way to build up your stack. now you have me wanting to make it a poker weekend at foxwoods....matter of fact that is the plan for me :D