R. I. P.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Former Mets catcher John Stearns.
'Bad Dude '! One of the Mets I always secretly admired. Loved his attitude and toughness.

I remember highlights of guys trying to barrel him over at the plate but getting the worst of it. If I remember correctly he was the only catcher who took Dave Parker's best shot and didn't even flinch.
And forget about when he was the one trying to score. The ex Colorado State safety would annihilate the opposing catcher

That toughness showed to the end as he attended Old Timers day with a broken hip and late stages prostate cancer.

RIP Bad Dude, they don't make them like that anymore.

'Bad Dude '! One of the Mets I always secretly admired. Loved his attitude and toughness.

I remember highlights of guys trying to barrel him over at the plate but getting the worst of it. If I remember correctly he was the only catcher who took Dave Parker's best shot and didn't even flinch.
And forget about when he was the one trying to score. The ex Colorado State safety would annihilate the opposing catcher

That toughness showed to the end as he attended Old Timers day with a broken hip and late stages prostate cancer.

RIP Bad Dude, they don't make them like that anymore.
Nice one, @billyS, nice tribute to this great man. Find myself fighting off a tear. Fucking prostate is one of natures’ biggest blunders.

Hector Lopez, # 11. 93 years old. For a lot of his time as a Yankee was the left fielder in the outfield with Mantle and Maris.
The first black AAA manager and second Panamanian born player to play in the major leagues.

Looking up his stats, I was surprised to learn that he ended his career playing nearly two full two seasons in AAA before retiring in 1969.

billyS

Reign of Terror
The first black AAA manager and second Panamanian born player to play in the major leagues.

Looking up his stats, I was surprised to learn that he ended his career playing nearly two full two seasons in AAA before retiring in 1969.
I was surprised that he lived here on the south Shore of Nassau and was involved in Hempstead recreation and that his son coaches at Malverne.