Fios Vs. Optimum

I never had FiOS before but now that I have the ability to switch,I guess they will give me a decent promotion for being a new customer..and after 1 year it gets crazy I'm sure.

I am thinking of getting rid of optimum but have had an optimum email address for a long time. I heard eventually they will block it. Anyone know how long after I cancel ,do they block my email address?

Yup, had a guy in front of my house last week and when I asked he said that is exactly what he was doing.
A friend of mine had his Optimum converted to fiber. He was sorry he did

First thing is all of his DVR recordings disappeared.

Second, the fiber goes to one box and the connection to the TVs is changed to WiFi. He said that the TV operation became very sluggish without the coax connection to a box next to each TV

Buyer beware.

Optimum is pissing me off because the bill keeps going up.
When I called to complain they enrolled me in a couple of specials and the bill dropped around $50. I got a new bill yesterday and it is $30 higher than last month. WTF ?

Second, the fiber goes to one box and the connection to the TVs is changed to WiFi. He said that the TV operation became very sluggish without the coax connection to a box next to each TV

Buyer beware.

When I called to complain they enrolled me in a couple of specials and the bill dropped around $50. I got a new bill yesterday and it is $30 higher than last month. WTF ?
With FiOS, you can still keep coaxial cable, but the technicians would rather not run a wired connection it's less work for them to wifi connect.

billyS

Reign of Terror

Buyer beware.

So, if some of the TV's in your house aren't smart tvs then they don't work anymore?

So, if some of the TV's in your house aren't smart tvs then they don't work anymore?
FiOS routers have coaxial output ports, however since most people now have smart TV's and technicians are lazy or hurried for time constraints that they prefer not to do the coaxial cable runs to TV's [splitters are required if connecting more than 1 TV, which degrades the decibels of the signal, in which case you'd need a booster/amplifier on the coaxial wire].

Here is the current FiOS router set up explaining it.
https://www.verizon.com/supportreso...port/consumer/documents/vms_4100_new_coax.pdf but the bigger issue is that most Towns still prevent Verizon from getting the Municipal license to allow TV service; Verizon isn't paying the bribery scheme so mostly only incorporated villages in Town of Crookhaven.

FiOS-Installation-Diagram.jpeg

I started this thread 12 years ago and it seems like almost nothing has changed-
Imo, both Fios and optimum suck—

Received a notice today from T mobile, that Internet is now available in my area

May consider the Dish or fire stick/Hulu etc -

Thoughts ?
Biggest issue with Dish network is that the internet bundle options don't work for Long Island [At&t Dsl, or At&t uverse options], but a better TV option than Cablevision, definitely better than FiOS is probably more of a YMMV thing

I started this thread 12 years ago and it seems like almost nothing has changed-

Received a notice today from T mobile, that Internet is now available in my area

Thoughts ?
I have T-Mobile in my garage speeds are faster than my altice service in my home. I wonder if I can Port my landline to a cell phone

Thoughts ?
With T-Mobile, it's using broadband internet (5G). I tried it for a day and returned it because I'm not close enough to a cell tower to get a good signal hence slow speeds.
So before considering switching to it, try to see how strong a signal you have in your house. Otherwise I was able to return it since it was a try before you paid at that time. I'm not sure if they still do that.

With FiOS, you can still keep coaxial cable, but the technicians would rather not run a wired connection it's less work for them to wifi connect.
When I converted from Optimum to Verizon 10 years ago they used the existing coax wiring — they just ran a short cable in the basement to the junction area.

Two years later Verizon dramatically raised the monthly rate (by a factor of 3 and 2X what my old Optimum rate was.) When I called (V) them to negotiate a lower rate they told me to go pound sand.

By "coincidence" an Optimum sales guy showed up at my door and offered me my old Optimum rate. My concern was my (several) verizon.net email addresses. He said "no problem — you can buy them (as in I will own the several addresses forever) for some nominal fee (I think around $15 each) and he helped me do that.

Cancelled V and went back to Optimum. Every couple of years they try and raise rates , I call and get the rates lowered back.

I still have the verizon.net email addresses. No cost, no ads.

Ps. When I wanted a TV by my basement workout area (big basement and 1/2 finished) I just used a splitter and ran the cable myself . Yes you lose some signal but unless you are splitting by a large factor you will not see degradation to TV quality ( this is because the signals are now digital which — to you nontechnical guys— is an all or nothing scheme.)

when my Optium goes up in cheaper i cut it and go to fios for their new customer sale price and when the promotion period expired in 2 years i move back to fios and been doing this for years, always paying between $100 and $120

i have coworkers paying almost 300 for cable and internet b/c they refuse to cut it and switch.

when my Optium goes up in cheaper i cut it and go to fios for their new customer sale price and when the promotion period expired in 2 years i move back to fios and been doing this for years, always paying between $100 and $120

i have coworkers paying almost 300 for cable and internet b/c they refuse to cut it and switch.
I find it easier just to call up, when the menu comes up enter CANCEL option, speak to the guy/gal, and they lower the rate.

I do the same thing with Sirius (none of you guys pay more than $6/mo right) and Newsday (none of you guys pay more than $4.35/week delivered — right. And certainly no one pays for the FUN BOOKs, special editions, etc? — they shorten the subscription period for these — just call up — once — and tell them you don't want them to do that - they still send them but don't charge), and BJ Club (I let it expire, use a photo of my buddies barcode on my phone for gas and stuff I won't return, and wait for them to send me a $20/yr offer.) I do same for him when his expires.

More $ for mongering.

i try t
I find it easier just to call up, when the menu comes up enter CANCEL option, speak to the guy/gal, and they lower the rate.

I do the same thing with Sirius (none of you guys pay more than $6/mo right) and Newsday (none of you guys pay more than $4.35/week delivered — right. And certainly no one pays for the FUN BOOKs, special editions, etc? — they shorten the subscription period for these — just call up — once — and tell them you don't want them to do that - they still send them but don't charge), and BJ Club (I let it expire, use a photo of my buddies barcode on my phone for gas and stuff I won't return, and wait for them to send me a $20/yr offer.) I do same for him when his expires.

More $ for mongering.

i tried that before but they used to offer me meaningless discounts that wouldnt bring my rate to the new customer rate so its worth to cut it.

More $ for mongering.
The strange thing optimum did to me when I asked if they could give me a better deal, the sales rep said no so I had Verizon install internet only for $56 a month.

After the install and some rewiring to accommodate the FiOS entry point in my house, I called to cancel and ONLY then did they say they would match my FiOS price. I told him too late since I rewired my house already he said I should have called first. Told him I did but was refused a better deal. He said I should have asked to cancel with a different group in optimum. So at least for me, just calling didn't get me a better deal.