R. I. P.

Frank Jacobs, 91 Writer for MAD magazine. MAD magazine, that I read as a young kid in the 50's, and throughout my teens, young and middle adulthood, managed to have something relevant to all age groups — a rare rather remarkable feat.

MAD hired and he work there for 57 years. Jacobs, a master of verse and lyrics, wrote mockery that ranged from absurdly funny to deadly serious.
For example, for the deadly serious, sung to the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" here are some lyrics from his:

"The Hymn of the Battered Republic"

In the alleys where our cities where the poor and homeless dwell
You can see the victims dying from the crack that pushers sell
While the bankers launder money from the Medellin cartel
The crime keeps marching on!

On the lighter side sung to Born in the USA:

RIP Mr. Jacobs.

I forget the name of the shop but there was this odd place in ?Roslyn? which sold/sharpened ice skates and you could trade in your old Mad Magazines for different one's 2-for-1.
You mean by the Roslyn Clock Tower, at the top of the hill, the shop that dealt in used records and books and resembled a hippie head shop of the seventies and somehow made it past the turn of the century before closing?

One of the owners/workers looked like Jerry Garcia from The Grateful Dead and he wore tie dyed shirts and tried to keep the dream alive with peace and love and New Age and nostalgia items from the Woodstock generation. (the 1969 one)

Back then, also a good neighborhood bar there called "The Elephant Room," if I am not mistaken and a good breakfast place by the park, overlooking the pond called -- give me some help on that one -- "Farmers--" something or other.

Roslyn is a cool little villiage with the 300 year old gristmill, still waiting to be restored when they get enough money. As if the around $10,000 per household, per year in Roslyn Village Tax is not enough to get the wheel rolling again.

The famous "George Washington Manor Restaurant" which is now Hendricks. The story goes that George Washington himself, The Father of our Country, spent a little time there in Roslyn to thank the troops and spies on their war efforts.

Still home to "The Jolly Fisherman" if you like old-style dining and a few very small boutique AMP's have sprung up in the village from time to time that I have oftentimes enjoyed in the misty past.

You mean by the Roslyn Clock Tower, at the top of the hill, the shop that dealt in used records and books and resembled a hippie head shop of the seventies and somehow made it past the turn of the century before closing?

One of the owners/workers looked like Jerry Garcia from The Grateful Dead and he wore tie dyed shirts and tried to keep the dream alive with peace and love and New Age and nostalgia items from the Woodstock generation. (the 1969 one)

Back then, also a good neighborhood bar there called "The Elephant Room," if I am not mistaken and a good breakfast place by the park, overlooking the pond called -- give me some help on that one -- "Farmers--" something or other.

Roslyn is a cool little villiage with the 300 year old gristmill, still waiting to be restored when they get enough money. As if the around $10,000 per household, per year in Roslyn Village Tax is not enough to get the wheel rolling again.

The famous "George Washington Manor Restaurant" which is now Hendricks. The story goes that George Washington himself, The Father of our Country, spent a little time there in Roslyn to thank the troops and spies on their war efforts.

Still home to "The Jolly Fisherman" if you like old-style dining and a few very small boutique AMP's have sprung up in the village from time to time that I have oftentimes enjoyed in the misty past.
Don't forget My Fathers Place