Eminent Domain - when used by Hooker strolls.

The Indians bought all the shopping plazas, gas stations and empty real estate from Popeyes until the checkers down the road over the last 4 years. With the recent announcement of Geraldine Hart as the new public safety chair of Hofstra (she just stepped down as SCPD commissioner and was a FBI agent for 20 years) I would expect that area to have a vigilant effort to gentrify and clean up. Which it has over the last decade in that particular area of town. All the side streets between the Fulton and front street are mostly rentals with college students and long term residents who’ve held out but it’s changing fast towards the first.

never have I seen a SW that far done towards Hofstra/the Hofstra bar scene. That area has a lot of low income housing that is a tier up from the projects of the other area of the village. Unless she was actively giving the nod, eyes and overall SW demeanor I would say it was just a local going to the 7/11 that shares that parking lot.

I was in the area at the same time last night and also did not see her. What I did see was hot, half naked college women a block up as one of the Hofstra bars has opened back up.
The Indians bought all the shopping plazas, gas stations and empty real estate from Popeyes until the checkers down the road over the last 4 years. With the recent announcement of Geraldine Hart as the new public safety chair of Hofstra (she just stepped down as SCPD commissioner and was a FBI agent for 20 years) I would expect that area to have a vigilant effort to gentrify and clean up. Which it has over the last decade in that particular area of town. All the side streets between the Fulton and front street are mostly rentals with college students and long term residents who’ve held out but it’s changing fast towards the first.
I thought a lot of the apts were rent controlled (stabilized?) and it wouldn't be all that easy to get an apt?

What worked in Farmingdale (although only a couple of blocks of such apts by the train station) was the apts had multiple families living in each apt (overloading the local schools with students requiring English as 2nd language ), the rent was so low that the apts weren't properly maintained.
The Village obtained the apts under eminent domain.
Funny thing, the landlord didn't fight the Village taking over, the Village evicted all the tenants and tore down the buildings for a" special project" — which promptly got cancelled.

so, son of a gun, the Village then sold the vacant properties back to the original owner for the same $ paid to him under eminent domain and he just so happened to have plans for multiple use (stores at street level and 3 stories of apts above) luxury apts.

The Village, which normally takes a while to review and approve such, approved plans in short order as the plans just so happened to perfectly fit in with the Village's downtown revitalization plans. What a stroke of random luck, eh?

That’s no coincidence Genuis but a tactic of gentrification/displacement. There’s a bullshit Newsday article from just before COVID about Hempstead village.

the article even states that the ‘keys to the village were given away’. In fact to three developers with major political ties throughout NY. Renaissance Downtowns, UrbanAmerica and RXR Realty. The three of them own most of the village.

Best part of the article is it’s quite apparent the journalist has never been to Hempstead because he mentions zero of its real problems especially with a title of ‘why development in Hempstead is at a stand still’ and how the article shows how much corruption has and always will take place in that village.
https://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/hempstead-village-redevelopment-renaissance-1.41287339

That’s no coincidence Genuis but a tactic of gentrification/displacement....
Ya think :rolleyes:

So Village got sued by some civil rights group about the displaced tenants and reached a settlement. Out of the 100's of luxury apts the village and the landlord agreed to set aside a handful of low income apts for a few of the displaced tenants.

BTW, I personally have no problem with the whole situation.

Reminds of that very small trailer park that was on Jericho in Syosset that they pretty much evicted the tenants from because the town didn’t want the demographic bringing down their town despite never having any issues there. This in the last couple years too.

Just like the coincidence the trailer park on 110 in amityville went up in flames, and it didn’t take lonf for the new apartments to start being built.
next time your in that area go down the back road of the Grey Barn. There is one small area of decent trailers, maybe about 8 still back there then a street with apartments and some more standalone modulate.

however, the last Grey barn building they built has zero occupancy. They have had an issue getting people on there. Why? The views overlook the last third world country looking apartments. There is a small parking lot for that trailer park you can turn into. There are 4 abandon trailers and 6 active trailers in that lot. Shopping carts full of garbage, garbages full of shit, needles, ripped apart bikes, cats everywhere, abandon striped cars. It actually is quite the site.

I thought a lot of the apts were rent controlled (stabilized?) and it wouldn't be all that easy to get an apt?

What worked in Farmingdale (although only a couple of blocks of such apts by the train station) was the apts had multiple families living in each apt (overloading the local schools with students requiring English as 2nd language ), the rent was so low that the apts weren't properly maintained.
Funny thing, the landlord didn't fight the Village taking over, the Village evicted all the tenants and tore down the buildings for a" special project" — which promptly got cancelled.

so, son of a gun, the Village then sold the vacant properties back to the original owner for the same $ paid to him under eminent domain and he just so happened to have plans for multiple use (stores at street level and 3 stories of apts above) luxury apts.

The Village, which normally takes a while to review and approve such, approved plans in short order as the plans just so happened to perfectly fit in with the Village's downtown revitalization plans. What a stroke of random luck, eh?
That was one politically connected property owner. Beautiful plan.

Bloomberg/ De Blasio did the same with the land next to Citi field. Take through ED then sell for $1 to developers

Would a Hofstra public safety chair have jurisdiction over things not on campus?

The way that whole stretch from roughly the checkers to where the crab food place across from stadium works has Hofstra public safety and Hempstead police working together. Some of those blocks are specifically zoned as school jurisdiction as well. It’s very interesting.
when the college bars are back full effect, not just one of them it’s a shit show over there.

Would a Hofstra public safety chair have jurisdiction over things not on campus?
IDK the answer to that but I would like to point out that Farmingdale State U cops will park their car just off Melville Road (Melville Road borders the campus from Rt110 to Daffodil Dr but is not part of it) and will sit there with binoc's (catching drivers on cell phones, violating traffic signs, etc., and radar). FSUNY is a state school and Hofstra ain't — IDK if security of FSUNY has special rights or Hofstra does or does not, whatever.

SUNY cops are peace officers not police officers, so their "long arm of the law" is limited.
The issue was, I thought, campus security at Hofstra and I brought up campus security at FSUNY and what they do and what they can do.
For example if they (Hofstra or FSUNY) does a traffic stop and the "see" something illegal in the vehicle I assume they can hold the vehicle and occupants at the stop until regular LE shows up.

Bingo. That’s what
"see" something illegal in the vehicle I assume they can hold the vehicle and occupants at the stop until regular LE shows up.
Bingo. In particular with Hofstra, at certain hours at least one Hempstead police vehicle is present in that strip at all times. When normal life is back and the college bars are popping usually 2-4 cars in that area of town.
it isn’t hard for campus security to get LE backup at the flip of a switch.