2020 Yankees

I think think the Yankees need a front tier starter. They have alot of one hit wonders who have yet to be proven over time. Severino had a great season in 2018, and German had a great 2019. German might of put us over the top if not for the domestic violence case at the worst time. As mentioned we have alot of players who are going to be looking to get paid, Judge,Torres, and would like to see us keep our developed talent. We keep signing mid level talent Haap,Lynn. Tanaka always looks great postseason, but he throws his slider to much which is why he has elbow issues which are concerning. We did not hit against the Astros either, we need more small ball and less smash ball. I would like to pick up Francisco Lindor as he comes under control for a season or two for only 10 million. Judge hasn't been the same since the wrist injury and Stanton I fear will be an ellsbury case moving forward

With Mike Mussina getting in last year, there's reason to consider Pettite to the HOF based on statistics. Too bad we got Moose a little too late in his career. Great pitcher? Maybe. I was surprised that he got in so quickly.

But true greatness for pitchers that I have seen include Mariano Rivera, Bob Gibson, Tom Seaver, Jim Palmer, Roger Clemens (pre-juice), Smoltz, Randy Johnson. (forgive me for those that I may have missed the last 50 years) So Pettite should not be in that conversation. And the PED violation doesn't help.

Frankly, Ron Guidry is far and away the greatest Yankee pitcher that I have seen but his limited career eliminates him.

BUT, Bert Blyleven is in the HOF at 287-250 which is INSANE if you ask me. It's like Bon Jovi being in the R&R hall of fame. A compiler.

So back to comparison to Mussina and Pettite.

Mussina 270-153 3.68 2,813 K's - HOF
(post season 7-8 3.81)

Pettite 256-153 3.85 2,448 K's
(post season 19-11 3.81)
The only difference is Mussina was a finesse pitcher and he played on a horrible Orioles teams, while pettite played on an allstar lineup almost every year with great run production. Pettite had a great pick off move especially earlier in his career. Pettite also is likened to HGH with Clemons stating he only took one shot or two. I dont think Andy ever gets in, he is a super nice guy and was well respected around the league. However, when I think of Andy I remember him going before congress and admitting his faults.

Question. I know this question is tough to ask here because 80% of the Yanks fans are biased and really dont know Baseball, they just this the world revolves around the Yanks.
Question is, Forgetting the Steroids, is Andy Pettite a Hall of famer? Only one 20 twice. winning 300 and you get in. But nobody will win 300 anymore. He won over 250, should that be the new benchmark?
We all hang out with the wrong crowd or crew at some points in our life, Petitte chose wrong when he aligned with that piece of cheating shit Clemens. We all have made the wrong choices in points of our lives. Petitte was ALWAYS a stud in the big games, sans the 2001 WS game 6 or 7. He was always clutch, a great Yankee, and will forever be one of my personal faves of those 90's teams.

Yanks passed on him bc they knew his elbow was gassed, and they chose right to not resign him. But like Slick said, they did low ball him in negotiations too.

For me I will always remember the 96 WS and the game he pitched against the Braves and Smoltz. That will forever be how I remember his Yankee career. Is he better than Guidry? Numbers say he is, both pitched on great teams. That is a tough comparison, because as a Yankee fan, I love them both. True Yankees.

As much as I love Petitte, I think he is on the outside looking in for the HOF. Only thing I could say that they might consider is how clutch he was in the post season.

Yanks were smart to bring in Pettite to help recruit Cole. They bring in a Steroid user, who as a free agent left the Yanks to go to the Astros. Real smart.
Stop with the sour grapes, Petitte is well respected around baseball and is certainly not the pariah that Clemens has become. He admitted his wrong. It's not the mistakes you make, its how you right them and get stronger from the lesson learned.

Petite was my favorite pitcher on those mid-late 90s teams. Great competitor and generally came through in the post season. Was glad to see him come back to the Yankees after those Houston years. When looking at his career numbers, bear in mind that he did retire for a period which may hamper some of those totals (I put no stock in Wins and think it's the single most useless statistic in analyzing any pitcher from any era).

His use of HGH was apparently limited to 2002, and only to recover from his elbow injury. Personally, I don't get as worked up about guys who took HGH, especially as it relates to recovering from injuries, especially as it relates to MLB and their Hands-off approach that they had prior to the embarrassing Congressional testimony and subsequent Mitchell Report.

As much as I loved him, I agree with the consensus that he is just shy of Hall worthy. Mussina was probably a bit better but I too was surprised to see him get in so quickly. I felt Schilling was better than them both.

Stop with the sour grapes, Petitte is well respected around baseball and is certainly not the pariah that Clemens has become. He admitted his wrong. It's not the mistakes you make, its how you right them and get stronger from the lesson learned.
Sour Grapes? Wrong...
Is he respected? I dont know, so how would you?
I never compared him to Clemens. You did.

Game 5 2000 World Series is the sour grapes.

I didn't compare him to Clemens, I said he wasn't a pariah like Clemens.

Well respected amongst his teammates, as evidence of his attendance to their HOF inductions, (Moose and Mo). But as a Mets fans you don't get to watch many of those ceremonies. I hope you have the Piazza induction DV'rd. Going to be awhile before you see another inductee from Flushing :)

billyS

Reign of Terror
Winter Meetings!
I'll predecit this; come Thursday you guys will be elated or really pissed off :) :) lol lol

Seriously, I think Gardner will be back, in fact I think a deal is already in place but they are just waiting for a roster spot to open up, probably a two for one trade or something like that, to announce.
I love Betances and hope he comes back, if not I hope he goes to the Phillies. Actually, that's my hope with Didi and Romine also. I'd like to see them come back but if not I'd like to see them in the NL preferably with a Mets rival :)

Game 5 2000 World Series is the sour grapes.

I didn't compare him to Clemens, I said he wasn't a pariah like Clemens.

Well respected amongst his teammates, as evidence of his attendance to their HOF inductions, (Moose and Mo). But as a Mets fans you don't get to watch many of those ceremonies. I hope you have the Piazza induction DV'rd. Going to be awhile before you see another inductee from Flushing :)
I wont get into a stupid discussion. But, you stated, " Well respected amongst his teammates, as evidence of his attendance to their HOF inductions, (Moose and Mo). " Thats 2 fucking guys? Come on..... Yes, thats respect...lol

Winter Meetings!
I'll predecit this; come Thursday you guys will be elated or really pissed off :):) lol lol

Seriously, I think Gardner will be back, in fact I think a deal is already in place but they are just waiting for a roster spot to open up, probably a two for one trade or something like that, to announce.
I love Betances and hope he comes back, if not I hope he goes to the Phillies. Actually, that's my hope with Didi and Romine also. I'd like to see them come back but if not I'd like to see them in the NL preferably with a Mets rival :)
I don't think Romine will sign there. He will get no playing time backing up Realmuto

I would agree with you Joey ... but here is the thing. He is going to get 7 years and at least $245 mill. Better that we get him and put us up top as the favorites to win it all ... as opposed to someone else getting him. Let's look at the competition. It is always Houston and Boston. Boston has fallen a bit and STILL looking to cut payroll. They will not be a threat this year. Houston is losing Cole and they have a big cheating issue to deal with. There isn't anybody really standing in our way this year. We get Cole ... it will be our best chance since 2009 to win it. Gamble now! If we don't do it now then our window will start to close.

Jesus Christ! But you know what ... The Yankees can sign him and make that much more advertising that this is the year and they will sell out and raise advertising prices ... they will go deep in the playoffs and make even more money. Christ - They are valued at like $4 billion. Don't sweat the big salary. These types of pitchers don't come along that often. Big bats do ... that's why I didn't mind them not getting Machado and Harper.

We don't need him at over 300 million. I rather take a shot on Bumgarner for less than half that. Add a reliever or two, and a nice bat, while retaining Romine.

36-38 million a year, I am sorry, you have to draw a line somewhere. Thats 1.25-1.5 million PER START.

How we paying Judge and Torres if we paying a guy who plays once a week 38 million a year? For once, I hope Cashman shows some restraint here.