Best Pizza in NYC (Queens, Brooklyn, Bx, Manhattan, SI and Long Island)

Although not at all resembling what is called pizza in this thread, I remember having something called pizza rustica. This was a pie type dish 14 " in diameter or so.

Made with 4 lbs of various Italian deli meats (soppressata was one of them) 1 lb of butter and 16 eggs (5eggs in the crust, 1egg to coat the crust and 10 eggs in the filling) 1 1/4 lb og Italian cheeses.

After eating this, dessert was a bowl of mixed statins (Lipitor et al)

This was typically prepared for the 1st meal at the end of Lent although I also remember having it around Christmas time. I haven’t had a piece worth a damn since my grandmother died (at a ripe old age) 30 years ago.

Anyone know of a place that sells it, properly made, by the slice?

Pic of side view of a slice:
pizzarustica-articleLarge.jpg

In the Bronx by westchester ave and Stratford place called Bronx bombers pizza on burke ave white plains place called the three boys from Italy and one in castle hill ave and Virgil ok called tonys. Those are the best I know in the Bronx

Singas is Greek recipe pizza (not Indian) characterized by the oily yet crunchy crust, variety of cheeses and minimal sauce.

http://singaspizzas.com/about/
Thanks for the clarification. I guess I assumed it was Indian because wherever there is an enclave Indian community, there arises a Singas and it is always patronized by Indian families, women in saris and men in dhotis. In Hicksville, there is one next to a dosa restaurant and a string of Indian restaurants and also in the Indian community in New Hyde Park. And I seldom see non-Indians in those Singas. It seems as though the Indian taste is well suited towards this style of pizza. I have heard of an Indian party where 50 pies were ordered well in advance. But thanks again for the clarification and even my kids will be shocked as they grew up frequenting Singas, partly for the unique taste and anticipation of getting a steaming pie and partly for the enjoyment of watching Indian families in really colorful traditional garb being really excited over dinner. Its a lighter pizza that really lends to conversation and lightheartedness.

Although not at all resembling what is called pizza in this thread, I remember having something called pizza rustica. This was a pie type dish 14 " in diameter or so.

Made with 4 lbs of various Italian deli meats (soppressata was one of them) 1 lb of butter and 16 eggs (5eggs in the crust, 1egg to coat the crust and 10 eggs in the filling) 1 1/4 lb og Italian cheeses.

This was typically prepared for the 1st meal at the end of Lent although I also remember having it around Christmas time. I haven’t had a piece worth a damn since my grandmother died (at a ripe old age) 30 years ago.

Pic of side view of a slice: View attachment 5419
My Italian grandfather used to make it only for Easter, he didn't chunk the meats, he used to layer it with thinly sliced Italian meats from the Italian butcher. We called it "Easter pie". Uncle Giuseppe's has it around Easter time.

During the Easter holiday, my aunt filled the home with this and other traditional Italian delicacies that she ordered from Del Prete Bakery 1885 Main Street Bridgeport, Connecticut. Bridgeport, back in the day was the home of many ethnic enclaves from Europe. The Italian presence was extremely robust with very heavy Italian traditions and food and lifestyle.

Del Prete Bakery as well as others in the area was extremely well-respected for their authentic Italian food products and the Italian ritual back in the day was to attend church and then immediately go to Del Prete and load up on delicacies and then go visiting family and friends' homes with a food gift from Del Prete and their trademark would always evoke from the recipient "Oh, Del Prete, Oh My Goda, Del Preta' you shouldn't --- no no, take home to you wife and a kidza...."

Looks like an Italian quiche too me, especially with all that egg in the filling. But I am sure you will meander on about how its not, Genius, is of course, always right :p

I fear the hate mail, anger and criticism that this might evoke (especially from the Italians) but I have been to the celebrated and spectacular and the best, wood fire and brick oven and coal and made the trips into Brooklyn and Pepe's in Yale, New Haven Connecticut, paid those ridiculous prices and it was all fun and adventurous.

(Now, here it comes) Costco is not a bad pizza. I mean too cheesy but if you can handle that thick slab of rich decadent melted scamorza or mozzarella and I like to reheat it at home to dry out the doughiness --- but the value and satisfaction drives me back. And just to watch the families on the cheap plastic chairs forgetting all their prior arguments for a spell -- everybody's happy. Dad scored a bargain; mom doesn't have to cook; and the kids wouldn't know the difference between Costco pizza and the undisputed best pie on the planet.
I get grief because I like a slice with vodka sauce and fresh mozzarella on it?!

A Costco pizza? I hope you're not a native NY'er, because that is straight up culinary sodomy. Anyone thinking that is acceptable and isn't from the sticks of PA or MD (Where these folks don't know good pizza bc of geography, hard water, and Papa John Face Fuckings on TV) needs to have their tongues ripped out! Maybe too much asian hair pie is clogging some of your taste buds.

Pizza should not, or ever come from the freezer section! From a place called COSTCO!

Looks like an Italian quiche too me, especially with all that egg in the filling. But I am sure you will meander on about how its not, Genius, is of course, always right :p
Ummm, in a 14 inch pie:
4 lbs of various Italian deli meats (soppressata was one of them)
1 lb of butter
16 eggs
1 1/4 lb of Italian cheeses.

Quiches of that size I am familiar with have 4 eggs, 1/2 lb of grated cheese, 1/2 lb ham , various veg's like broccoli, mushrooms, etc.

Calling pizza rustic a quiche is like calling a large filet mignon on a slab of buttered toast a pig in a blanket, IMHO.

Speaking of which does anywhere with say a pizza oven sell quiche where you can sit down and eat it? Not really talking about deli's/bakeries.

Ummm, in a 14 inch pie:
4 lbs of various Italian deli meats (soppressata was one of them)
1 lb of butter
16 eggs
1 1/4 lb of Italian cheeses.

Quiches of that size I am familiar with have 4 eggs, 1/2 lb of grated cheese, 1/2 lb ham , various veg's like broccoli, mushrooms, etc.

Calling pizza rustic a quiche is like calling a large filet mignon on a slab of buttered toast a pig in a blanket, IMHO.
Look at the filling!

Its custard like. What's binding that is EGG, like in a quiche. Stuffed pizza doesn't have whipped eggs in it for a binder. It is stuffed with fillings, meat, cheese, veggies. NOT EGG.

Quiches of that size ?

Your proportions are for a half inch deep 6-8 inch round Quiche, or equivalent to an Enternmann's crumb cake. If it was proportioned to the pie size you mentioned in your previous quote it would be comparable less the egg for the dough.

Every chef and restaurant wants to try and reinvent the wheel and think they are coming up with something earth shattering. Guess what, its all been done before. I went into this Italian restaurant last week, had an appetizer on menu called "Panzerotti" excuse spelling if its wrong. Mini, crispy, half moons of dough filled with mozzarella and a little tomato sauce. It's a mini calzone, all these riffs and obligatory bullshit terms for "Contemporary" Cuisine is a fucking joke.

The filling on that Rustica Pizza is similar to a quiche. The Mic has fucking drizz-opped!

Actually you can cook a quiche in a pizza oven in a proper water bath. But Maybe Genius would like to comment on what a proper water bath is, along with the appropriate bathing temperatures to cook said quiche.

Look at the filling!

Its custard like. What's binding that is EGG, like in a quiche. Stuffed pizza doesn't have whipped eggs in it for a binder. It is stuffed with fillings, meat, cheese, veggies. NOT EGG.

Quiches of that size ?

Your proportions are for a half inch deep 6-8 inch round Quiche, or equivalent to an Enternmann's crumb cake. If it was proportioned to the pie size you mentioned in your previous quote it would be comparable less the egg for the dough.

Every chef and restaurant wants to try and reinvent the wheel and think they are coming up with something earth shattering. Guess what, its all been done before. I went into this Italian restaurant last week, had an appetizer on menu called "Panzerotti" excuse spelling if its wrong. Mini, crispy, half moons of dough filled with mozzarella and a little tomato sauce. It's a mini calzone, all these riffs and obligatory bullshit terms for "Contemporary" Cuisine is a fucking joke.

The filling on that Rustica Pizza is similar to a quiche. The Mic has fucking drizz-opped!
It's basically ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese. I don't remember 16 eggs in my grandfathers "pie". Just sliced pepperoni, salami, sooersad, and I think one other. No veggies at all. It was made only for Easter cause if all the meats and not eating meats through Lent.
But every section of Italy has their own version. My family was northern Italy.

Actually you can cook a quiche in a pizza oven in a proper water bath. But Maybe Genius would like to comment on what a proper water bath is, along with the appropriate bathing temperatures to cook said quiche.
But where can one dine on a freshly made one? Or is it considered a money looser for a restaurant?

My grandmother used to make it too around the holidays.Haven't had a good one since she passed as well.

I
Gotta admit was hungry at like 2am went to 7-11 got 2 "slices" for $2.It just came out of oven...it sucked but filled me up on my way home lol
I mean, yeah. I was coming home late at night from an AMP in Flushing during a snowstorm. Went into 7-11 and they only had two slices, dried out under the light bulb. But that didn't bother me none. But it bothered bothered the 7-11 owner. He said, "let me make you a fresh pie for only 5 bucks." My reply was, "My friend, that is a fucking deal."

In my car with a tall cup of coffee, with the heater on and the beauty of the fresh snow swirling around and accumulating in the 7-11 parking lot with some good classic rock on the radio, I put down that $5 pie and quite frankly probably couldn't distinguish it from a Di Fara's $35 pie in a double blind taste test. (LOL)

I get grief because I like a slice with vodka sauce and fresh mozzarella on it?!

A Costco pizza? I hope you're not a native NY'er, because that is straight up culinary sodomy. Anyone thinking that is acceptable and isn't from the sticks of PA or MD (Where these folks don't know good pizza bc of geography, hard water, and Papa John Face Fuckings on TV) needs to have their tongues ripped out! Maybe too much asian hair pie is clogging some of your taste buds.

Pizza should not, or ever come from the freezer section! From a place called COSTCO!
"Maybe too much asian hair pie is clogging some of your taste buds."

Metaphorically speaking, there is more truth than fiction attached to that analysis.
My last Italian girlfriend and real ties to my Italian heritage was left behind about 40 years ago upon meeting my first Asian female. Since then, I found myself adopting more of an Asian lifestyle after studying the benefits of their food culture. Always rice and vegetables.

Of course, I am not a purist, so I will have a slice now and then. Ingredients and atmosphere surely make a difference to one seeking a finer experience. But, pizza by its nature is a fun food and almost any attempt to create a good pie with sincerity and some knowledge of baking should rise to the level of a satisfactory edible pizza.

However, "BAD FUCKING CHINESE FOOD REALLLLLLLY PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!!!! ," So, I do understand your sentiments. (LOL)

Anyone remember Lento's in Bay Ridge,Brooklyn? A landmark on the corner of 3rd Ave and Ovington Ave. It's been closed for some time but it was famous for its thin,crispy crust.
Lentos was my fav place years ago. Completely unassuming on the outside, when you walk in looks more like a bar than a restaurant, yet served an unbelievable thin crust pie. I could easily house 1-2 pies in a sitting (for those who who have not been, the crust was razor thin and perfectly crispy). My favorite was the chicken cutlet pie.

Sadly they closed years ago. Were open in Staten Island for a spell after Bay Rose closed, but that didn’t make it more than 5 years in SI.

Such a shame, they made a mean pizza.