2019 Mets

IT WOULD BE DIFFERENT if it were the Yankees signing him. The Yankees can shrug off one or two bad contracts. The Mets simply can't. They have shown that they won't go above a certain payroll. This contract good very likely prevent them from signing other needed players. It is also important to note that he had 2 years left not 1. With pitchers that is an awfully big risk. That being said .... deGrom is a Met. They have a bad track record. I agree with you on all of those free agents except Keuchel. He has a long track record of throwing 200 innings and being good.

I think a good example is Severino - they gambled when they didn't have to and now maybe he has a bad rotator cuff. If they had waited another year they may have saved themselves a ton of money. regardless of what happens going forward - his value has taken a hit. He is starting the year on the DL with a bad shoulder.
I did note that DeGrom has 2 years remaining before free agency, and yes Severino is a good example of long term contracts going sour. But say he doesn't get hurt, he is a steal at 10 million a year the way he pitched last year. Its all a crap shoot with pitchers.

Keuchal hasn't been the same since his 2015 season, plus he is tied to draft picks, which I think has hindered him from getting a contract. The contract killing the Mets right now is Cespedes, but they get out of it after next season. So DeGrom's contract shouldn't hinder them that much. What hinders them is they're tight wads. But I also think they're gun-shy, every move for so long, Sans Piazza, Beltran, have blown up on them. Maybe Van Wagerton is the guy to break them out of that trend, like Stick Michael did for the Yankees in the early 90's.

I did note that DeGrom has 2 years remaining before free agency, and yes Severino is a good example of long term contracts going sour. But say he doesn't get hurt, he is a steal at 10 million a year the way he pitched last year. Its all a crap shoot with pitchers.

Keuchal hasn't been the same since his 2015 season, plus he is tied to draft picks, which I think has hindered him from getting a contract. The contract killing the Mets right now is Cespedes, but they get out of it after next season. So DeGrom's contract shouldn't hinder them that much. What hinders them is they're tight wads. But I also think they're gun-shy, every move for so long, Sans Piazza, Beltran, have blown up on them. Maybe Van Wagerton is the guy to break them out of that trend, like Stick Michael did for the Yankees in the early 90's.
Yes they are cheap. This is NYC they play in a 10yr old stadium they should be top 5 spending teams each and every year. If they have a good chance to compete. They were dummies for not signing Murphy regardless of how he does. They didn't sign em cause they're cheap.

Yes they are cheap. This is NYC they play in a 10yr old stadium they should be top 5 spending teams each and every year. If they have a good chance to compete. They were dummies for not signing Murphy regardless of how he does. They didn't sign em cause they're cheap.
They made him an offer. He refused it. He left.

They made him an offer. He refused it. He left.
They made him a short term deal he wanted to stay. He wouldn't taken less. My point is the Mets are frugal at minimum. They are in a huge market. They shouldn't be whatever place they were in spending wise when they had all that pitching. 86 Mets if not for coke should've won minimum 1 more these Mets now few yrs ago I felt should've pulled one out.

They made him a short term deal he wanted to stay. He wouldn't taken less. My point is the Mets are frugal at minimum. They are in a huge market. They shouldn't be whatever place they were in spending wise when they had all that pitching. 86 Mets if not for coke should've won minimum 1 more these Mets now few yrs ago I felt should've pulled one out.
I agree that team should have won more than one. That team won 108 games that year.

Van Wagenen press conference today:Cespedes fractured his ankle at his ranch. Lol can't make this up. Well he is done. Also Calloway is keeping his job. If he was gonna get fired today was the day. Thought for sure he was getting axed.

They don't want to pay another manager in addition to Calloway. It's still a mess with Van Wag.
Cespedes "Fell down a hole" on his ranch. WTF IS HE DOING IN OR NEAR A HOLE THAT BIG? TOTAL BUST!!

Its too funny how quiet all of the Met fans are.
I think we feel why bother if the Yankee fans are going to jump all over us. I don't know why you can't be content that your team has overcome their injuries and just post in your thread. And the Mets thread has never been as active as the Yankees one even we were doing well several years back.

The Mets have had their share of injuries, too. The trouble is that our farm system is terrible so the guys that we keep running up here are woefully inadequate. Couple that with the fact that our three veterans in Cano, Frazier, and Cespedes appear to be done. And that's just the beginning. The pitchers and hitters haven't been in sync where they are both solid at the same time. It's going to be a long season for us Mets fans.

I will say that the Cespedes thing is probably a gift. Most teams insure big contracts like that so if they get hurt a majority of their contract is paid by the insurance. The Mets might actually be thrilled that they may not have to eat his contract.

Well, that was an exciting win. At least the Mets still showed they have heart after the bad news about Ces and the media barrage about Callaway's job in jeopardy. To come from behind twice with home runs and then to pull out a win by beating out a high-hopper showed spunk. LGM.

LGM. Gutsy performance tonight. I know we were only down by a run, but the team could have given up and gone home. Instead, they worked together and came home by rallying for six runs, including a bases clearing double from Lagares that accounted for the first three runs and a three-run homer by minor-league call-up Rajai Davis in his first at-bat as a Met.

Just as important, DeGrom returned to form and the Mets were able to overcome the jinx of not scoring for him. The only unfortunate part of the night is that he didn't get the win. I wish MLB would change that rule and allow the official scorer to award the win to the pitcher most deserving and not to a reliever who pitches a single inning. I know that wins don't mean anything to a reliever, but they certainly mean something to a starter.

The biggest takeaway I see from tonight's win and the two from the previous nights is that the players, managers, and coaches feel that ownership has confidence in them and is fully behind them. When the owners say that they built this team and they take full responsibility for the management they put in place, it makes an impression on the staff as well as the players. The players see that ownership believes in the staff and they perform better. Hats off to Jeff Wilpon and BVW for stepping up and speaking out. Too often you see ownership either stay silent or pass the buck and blame the staff downstream. In this case, the owners really took ownership and put the team's performance squarely on themselves.

Another great pitching performance doesn't get rewarded with a win. (MLB needs to make a rule change that would allow the official scorer to award the win to a starter rather than a one inning reliever. And to prove my point, today's win went to - you guessed it, Gsellman - the guy who blew the lead.)

Matz was superb in persevering when he put runners on base. It was the difference between today's outings and past ones where he imploded.

BTW, Cespedes had ankle surgery today and is done for the year. I hope this means he is done for good as a Met. Void his contract for fraud (hiding his feet condition) and/or unauthorized activity (whatever he was doing when he fractured his ankle).