2019 Yankees

billyS

Reign of Terror
I think in 3 yrs they will still be in last place. I know that teams with low payroll(i think Marlins is like mil)sometimes win but No way will they be able to compete with the way they are doing things.Last few years they got rid of alot of good players MVP's etc
I don't think the plan is to always be selling off players or I doubt Jeter would have gotten involved.
I think the plan is more along the lines of what the Astros and Braves did and that's tear down completely and rebuild.
Thats why I said three years, let see if they can develop some prospects.
What they do from there is another story.
It doesn't seem Miami can really support a MLB franchise.

It's also time for MLB to get over the gambling fears and put a franchise in Las Vegas. They should also expand some more and put a team in Puerto Rico or the DR and also Mexico City. Baseball is huge in these markets.

billyS

Reign of Terror
It's also time for MLB to get over the gambling fears and put a franchise in Las Vegas. They should also expand some more and put a team in Puerto Rico or the DR and also Mexico City. Baseball is huge in these markets.
I have no problems with expansion but I don't want to see the playoffs expanded. I don't think baseball lends itself to a long postseason.

*If they're healthy*, I disagree. A front 3 of Severino, Paxton, and Tanaka can match up with any in baseball. And don't forget cc is always clutch and I expect more so in his final season (rumored to be announced today). Plus that bullpen is light years ahead of any other teams, not to mention the offense we all know and love. On paper, I don't see how another team beats em. But again, if they're healthy.

So Machado went to San Diego. Let’s see if he has the balls in his interview to say yeah I took the most money what about it
Def won't, but can't really blame him. I don't understand why Machado and/or Harper are so against a 1 or 2 year deal with a massive aav. Both have something to prove in my opinion- Harper that he's not the shell of a former mvp he appeared to be last season, and Machado that he's not an asshole. Why would they not want to do 1/40 or 2/80? Neither has a significant injury history. If (or when) they both perform adequately on a small deal, they'd more than likely be in line for much more than they are signing for now. I don't know the inner workings of the Yankees front office, but I'd be willing to bet they wouldn't have a limit to how much they'd pay Machado on a 1 or 2 year deal. Those 10 years scared them, and rightfully so.

Mr. Wiggley

But what do I know I'm a bad guy
I don’t blame him one bit. Take all you can while you can. I just don’t want to listen to the I’m going to help resurrect the franchise, they will build around me bullshit.
You got a ton of money. Good for you. Go enjoy the great weather and last place.
The happiest guy in MLB right now is Bryce Harper

I don’t blame him one bit. Take all you can while you can. I just don’t want to listen to the I’m going to help resurrect the franchise, they will build around me bullshit.
You got a ton of money. Good for you. Go enjoy the great weather and last place.
The happiest guy in MLB right now is Bryce Harper
...who rumor has it will also be going to San Diego if they match the Phillies offer (10/330)

I honestly don't think they do. I think Machado (and Harper, if he gets one) takes advantage of that opt out clause as soon as he is able. Machado is going to put asses in the seats , which San Diego needs win or lose.

Depends on how you would define "significantly". The fact that they're even still talking to Harper after signing Machado, and that they have 10 of baseballs top 100 prospects should be enough to get that fan base charged up. Full stadiums? At first yes but probably won't last. But I'd still say whatever the increase is at first will be worth the 300m investment

Zeeman - we will disagree here. They have been drawing on average 2.2 mill. The year they went to the world series in 98 they drew 2.5 mill. Their average ticket price is $21.78. When you do the math - they would have to sell close to 14 million extra tickets over those 10 years to break even. The problem with that is they average about 27,160 fans per game. So that would mean they would need to add 17,036.35 fans per home game to break even. The seating capacity of PETCO is 42,445. So based on ticket sales ..... even if they sell out EVERY home game over the next 10 years ... they STILL won't break even.

Doesn't that assume each ticket sells for 21.78? Plus I'd think ticket prices are going up now that there's a reason to show up. They're selling the future, which looks brighter than ever (even though we all know it's not lol)