Right Wing Fucknuts descend on DC

He interjected personal commentary interject in to his reporting. But you're right, it's actually not a f'up ... more like courageous. We'd learn 3 years later about the losing situation in the Pentagon papers. I can agree with you on this one.
Actually, the country learned about it far sooner. When Cronkite visited Nam after the Tet offensive, he returned to the states and spoke at his anchor desk, saying some variant of "we are losing" the war in Southeast Asia. History has recorded that LBJ, upon learning of Cronkite's remarks, responded by saying something to the effect of, "if I have lost Cronkite, I have lost the nation." Many historians have argued that those remarks led LBJ to refuse renomination in 68. But, as you suggest, what he did was clearly courageous. Except for Edward R. Murrow, journalists did not inject personal commentary into their reports. That only changed after Watergate, when journalists became "investigative reporters" and the veneer that protected politicians and other influential leaders of causes disappeared.

Thanks for that. I let my irritation with popular fanatics on both sides of the political spectrum influence my words. Just change "whack-jobs" to polemicists. I am trying to stay positive here.
Wow! What a dramatic change of descriptor - from akin to lunatic to one who engages in controversial discussion. Just playing semantics - please forgive me.

I appreciate your taking the time to assess my point and taking it in the objective, albeit critical, way it was intended without launching a personal attack on me or adopting a defensive attitude. I think if all posts in this thread and the "mosque" thread were developed with the same approach, each would be much shorter and much more focussed. Keep setting what I think is a good example. With any luck it will catch on.

Wow! What a dramatic change of descriptor - from akin to lunatic to one who engages in controversial discussion. Just playing semantics - please forgive me.

I appreciate your taking the time to assess my point and taking it in the objective, albeit critical, way it was intended without launching a personal attack on me or adopting a defensive attitude. I think if all posts in this thread and the "mosque" thread were developed with the same approach, each would be much shorter and much more focussed. Keep setting what I think is a good example. With any luck it will catch on.
I would like to think that it will catch on also, although the invective of recent posters, new to UG, seems to be more immature playground name calling than intellectual discourse. Yes, you were critical, but in a rational, almost editorial manner. You did not resort to the latest windbag's drivel. We should all be open to honest disagreements. It is only through that type of dialectical process that progress is forthcoming.

Just goes to show how little I pay attention to the likes of Beck... I not only didn't know about this rally until I read it here, but I missed his quote about Obama until I over heard two people discussing it while I was getting my haircut today.

Did Beck really say Obama was "racist" and has a "deep hatred of white people"? If so that only proves my case that you can't take him seriously. He's a total loon for even saying something like that about a president. It only shows he's a taste only for the very fringe far right fucknuts who don't matter any more than the far left nuts. They are few in number compared to the normal people and their minds are made up so when they listen to assholes like Beck, Rush and Olberman it's because they tell them what they want to hear. They're not convincing enough to lure fence sitters to the dark side. I wouldn't worry about Beck coming to town anymore than Howard Stern. Two radio talk show hosts who draw crowds of their loyal followers.... Cept Howard at least brings some entertainment and eye candy.

Just goes to show how little I pay attention to the likes of Beck... I not only didn't know about this rally until I read it here, but I missed his quote about Obama until I over heard two people discussing it while I was getting my haircut today.

Did Beck really say Obama was "racist" and has a "deep hatred of white people"? If so that only proves my case that you can't take him seriously. He's a total loon for even saying something like that about a president. It only shows he's a taste only for the very fringe far right fucknuts who don't matter any more than the far left nuts. They are few in number compared to the normal people and their minds are made up so when they listen to assholes like Beck, Rush and Olberman it's because they tell them what they want to hear. They're not convincing enough to lure fence sitters to the dark side. I wouldn't worry about Beck coming to town anymore than Howard Stern. Two radio talk show hosts who draw crowds of their loyal followers.... Cept Howard at least brings some entertainment and eye candy.
His logic may be flawed, and his rhetoric nonsensical, but when a large fraction of society starts to chant amen to everything he mumbles, then he must be paid attention to. If only to be ready to rebut his nonsense.

It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle.
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Art_of_War

What large fraction?

He had 80,000 people show up at this rally. There's probably ten times that many who belong to fanatical groups like the KKK, Aryan Nation and every little Waco across America. And rebut what to who. The idiots who buy into his and Rush's crap aren't going to listen to you or any rational thought. That's why they're gullible idiots and he gets paid 20 mil a year... cause he's a great bullshitter.

He's a fleeb.

What large fraction?

He had 80,000 people show up at this rally. There's probably ten times that many who belong to fanatical groups like the KKK, Aryan Nation and every little Waco across America. And rebut what to who. The idiots who buy into his and Rush's crap aren't going to listen to you or any rational thought. That's why they're gullible idiots and he gets paid 20 mil a year... cause he's a great bullshitter.

He's a fleeb.
About two million people are regular viewers.
http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy...atings-decline-what-will-he-do-to-boost-them/

I'll bet half think he's a prophet / savant.

OK... lets assume you're right and half the dopes who watch him are dangerous. That's probably about the same amount as the memberships of the KKK, Aryan nation and Nation of Islam.... all organizations who preach hate and far worse. Together they haven't ruined our country. And you're worried about a radio/tv guy who doesn't say anything close to the shit the other three do. Rush has been around longer, probably has more dopes in his audience and I've yet to hear or read that he tilted even the most minor election.

You're way too over concerned about a fleeb.

This is just another example of ultra liberal hypocrisy run amok. It's ok for the KKK to exercise their first amendment but not some right wing nitwit on tv.

I don't know about all of you but no fat vanilla pro-biotic yogurt is amazing. The shit really works. I've been on a no alcohol, high fiber/veggie, no carb diet .... Damn! Man am I regular now. I think right and left should have more of this stuff and we'd all be better off. My pipes are clean! Relax and take a dump w/ the NY Daily News .... :) I'm serious.

What large fraction?

He's a fleeb.
Agreed, for the most part.

I hate the use the example but you have to in cases such as these as it is the most extreme case. Germany in the 1930's was undergoing extreme economic crisis. Lots of nice, normal, people going hungry looking for reasons why they couldn't eek out a living. Hitler's Brown Shirts were a small, extremist, minority. Somehow they managed to take over a political party. Somehow they managed to get their guy Adolf elected Reich Chancellor.

You can't just write off mental midgets like Beck in times when people that would otherwise be considered "normal" are looking for scapegoats to blame for the pain they are feeling. The Becks of the world are opportunists and in the scapegoat providing business.

This is just another example of ultra liberal hypocrisy run amok. It's ok for the KKK to exercise their first amendment but not some right wing nitwit on tv.
Oh, I'm all for letting him have his say. I just don't think you dismiss it.

You speak out yourself, point out its flaws, and make sure its seen as the lunacy it actually is. You don't just say, "He's just a nut. No ones listening." That's how the Slobodan Milošević's of the world get a leg up to power.

Oprah will give you a house - I caught this show where Will-I-Am basically gave this "8 is Enough" looking white family and this single black mother and her daughters new homes/he paid off their subprime mortgages. I'm not going to debate anyone on these mortgages (don't doubt it was the banks fault - it was and they are sill being predatory). Point is - O is ok in my book. You want to talk about equal justice - she's showing that poverty knows no color, that inspiring people to do good acts can be contagious. Like I said before - Beck had 80000 people on the mall and he only thing he did was tell people that christianity is about equal justice ... only Obama's christian faith is not the same.

I would definitely keep an ey on that whack job.

you're all paranoid.... a trait found in all left and right wingers. Beck unlike hitler doesnt have the jews to blame nor an entire antisemetic continent to preach to. and there's that pesky first amendment that protects what he says.