Late-Night Dining

Slinkybender, from a post in the general "Restaurants" thread recommending Forbidden City on Ave. A between 13th & 14th:

The kitchen is open till 3AM. We usually have a problem finding anyplace half decent open at that time and usually end up at Sarges as a result. This is a real find for late night, reasonably priced, high quality eats.
This is a real problem for me as well.

I've sort of taken up permanent residence at Momofuku Ssam on 2nd Ave. & 13th St. You can find me eating late at the counter almost more nights than you can't.

And of course there's also New York Noodletown and Congee Village in Chinatown/LES.

Mas on Downing St., for those late nights when you want to spend a (relatively) lot of money on food that isn't that great in a really nice atmosphere.

Royale for overrated Burgers in the East Village.

Other places?

Last edited:
Shit, I can't believe I forgot the classic late-night standby, Blue Ribbon (on Sullivan St.). Although the reason I forgot it is that, marrow bones aside, I've always found it somewhat overrated. (Although marrow bones at 3 AM do have a lot to say for themselves.)

Also open late, but IMO somewhat overrated (although well worth eating in when everyplace else is closed), is Landmarc in Tribeca.

There are a number of 24-hour places in Koreatown.

Masquerade will probably say something about L'Express at 22nd & Park. But the fact of the matter is, L'Express isn't very good.

Last edited:
Veselka on 9th Street

is open around the clock and when you're rip-roaring drunk at 4am that's all that matters. And they do have good soup...

Also open late, but IMO somewhat overrated (although well worth eating in when everyplace else is closed), is Landmarc in Tribeca.
Hey JL ol' buddy (or anyone else who has given it a try) - Care to comment on this place a bit more? They claim to be a steak place, but just passing by I have not been inclined to venture in with an expectation of having a red meat craving truly satisfied. Thanks

Originally Posted by Slinky Bender
The kitchen is open till 3AM. We usually have a problem finding anyplace half decent open at that time and usually end up at Sarges as a result. This is a real find for late night, reasonably priced, high quality eats.

Would this "Sarges" be a deli (somewhere in the vicinity of 33rd and 3rd, I believe). Read about a Sarge's ("Jewish" deli) that appeared on a Cityguide list of best in NYC a few days ago. So if one was looking for good pastrami or corned beef should Sarge's be on the list of places to try? For perspective - I know Katz's, Carnegie and Stage. Thanks.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Third Ave between 36th & 37th. Open 24/7.

Cannegie went terribly downhill and has been godawful for the past few years. I know someone who still goes, and says it is good occassionally - swell.

Sarge's is about on par with (the former) Second Avenue Deli. I was naver a fan of Stage.

Katz's is a different story, because they hand slice thier meats. They are also odd in terms of hours: everyone I know says that they are open late, but the actual hours are:

Closed at 9:45 PM M,T
Closed at 10:45 PM S,W,Th
Closed at 2:45AM F,Sa

(and I've showed up there a bunch of times on F * Sa well before 2:45AM and they wouldn't let me in because they were "closing")

FYI Sarge's (like almost every other Manhattan Deli except for Ben's) is not Kosher. You can get a Reuben there, or other Milchik and Fleishik combinations. Like what Allen orders there: Pastrimi on Rye with cold Swiss cheese and Mayonaisse (ick!).

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
I have posted about this Mexican joint over on Greenpoint Avenue between 47th and 48th Sts. for a while on here. The best tacos in the city, according to gavycrav. They are open until 4AM.

The name has changed a few times. They were Rincon Azteca, but it is now called Mexican Restaurant, I think. Great to hit at night with a slight buzz.

Gavy

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
If you are looking for some greasy Colombian breakfasts or some typical Colombian food, you really can't go wrong with Pollos Mario. There are a ton of these joints on Roosevelt in Jax Hts, the main one being on 81st Street. You can't go wrong and the price is right.

Gavy

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
I know justlooking said no diners, but there is a Mexican place that is open 24 hours on Friday and Saturday. The name is Chanita and can be found on 50th and Roosevelt (right where 43rd Avenue runs into Roosevelt).

You can get a cheeseburger delux, the best tuna club in the city and an array of Mexican breakfasts (juevos rancheros is a classic). Nice staff, owner is a decent lady. I like giving her business...

Gavy

i thought JL said no diners?
Vaselka's not a diner. (Or, I didn't mean the "no-Diners" rule to apply to things that would be Diners in the Ukraine.)

I spent so many post-CBs nights at Vaselka in the 70s I couldn't begin to count them. Now, I get all pissed off by the "new" glass enclosures. Like they think the place should be cheery or something. Don't they know that's my youth they're messing with?

Last edited:
Hey JL ol' buddy (or anyone else who has given it a try) - Care to comment on this place a bit more? They claim to be a steak place, but just passing by I have not been inclined to venture in with an expectation of having a red meat craving truly satisfied. Thanks
Landmarc isn't really a steak place, and it doesn't really bill itself as one. It's more an "American bistro." As such, they have steak which is very good, but more a bistro steak than a steakhouse steak. The food as a whole there is good: it's just kind of ordinary and unexciting. Worth eating if you're there, but not worth a big-deal trip.

Prices are moderate. (But to me this is the kind of place where the food is unexciting enough that it just isn't quite worth paying for, if you know what I mean.) The wine program is spectacular, though -- very very gentle markup.

They're about to open a branch in the Time Warner Center.

Last edited:

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Vaselka's not a diner.

I spent so many post-CBs nights at Vaselka in the 70s I could hardly count them. Now, I get all pissed off by the "new" glass enclosures. Like they think the place should be cheery or something. Don't they know that's my youth they're messing with?

Veselka is a diner. Take any Greek diner's menu and substitute any "Greek" items with Ukranian items and you've pretty much got Veselka's menu.

Where is this from?:

Breakfast
Homemade Buttermilk Waffles
Buttermilk Waffles made Here From Scratch, Not a Mix, and Baked to Order 5.95

with fresh raspberry sauce 7.25

Eggs
All Egg and Omelette Plates Are served with Choice of Potatoes of Kasha or Tomato and Challah Bread or Toast.
Two Eggs, Fried or Scrambled 3.75

Two Poached Eggs 3.95

Choice of One: bacon,ham, sausage or corned beef hash 2.95

Omelettes
Western (peppers, Onion & Ham) 5.95

Mediterranean (feta & Tomato) 6.25

Smoked Salmon 8.95

Plain Omelette 3.95

Fillings: Ham, Bacon, or Sausage $2.95; Cheddar, Swish, Muenster, American $0.75; Mushroom, Tomato, Onion, Bell Pepper $0.75; Hard Roll or Bagel or English Muffin Add $0.50.
Breakfast Specials.
7am-12pm Daily / Saturday and Sunday Till 4pm
No.1 2 Eggs, Fried or Scrambled served with potatoes or tomato and toast 5.95

with bacon, ham, suasage, or corned beef hash 7.45

No.2 Pancakes or French Toast buckwheat or buttermilk pancakes served with butter and syrup 6.45

with bacon, ham , sausage, or corned beef hash 7.95

No.3 Banana or Blueberry Pancakes buckwheat or buttermilk pancakes served with butter and syrup 7.45

with bacon, ham, sausage, or corned beef hash 8.95

No. 4 Pancakes & Two Eggs buckwheat or buttermilk pancakes served with butter and syrup with fried or scrambled eggs and choice of bacon, ham, sausage, or corned beef hash 8.95

No.5 Oatmeal, Farina or Individual Pack of Cold Cereal served with toast 4.25

No.6 Fried Egg Sandwich with Bacon or Ham or Sausage served on a roll or your choice of bread 4.25

100% Pure vermount marple syrup add $1.95
Cereals
Hot Cereals In The A.M. Only
Oatmeal or Farina 3.25

Individual Packcold Cereal 2.95

Organic Maple Almond Granola 3.95

Griddle Specialties
Buckwheat or Buttermilk Pancakes
Plain 6.25

Banana Pancakes 7.25

Blueberry Pancakes 7.25

Raspberry Pancakes 7.25

Challah French Toast 6.25

Cheese Blintzes 9.50

Cheese Blintzes with Raspberry Sauce 10.50

Potato Pancakes 7.75

Waffle 5.95

Waffle with Raspberry Sauce 7.25

Fruit
Selected for Quality - Market Determines Availability
Fresh Melon or Pineapple 3.25

Fresh Grapefruit 2.50

Fresh Fruit Salad Cup 4.25

Fresh Fruit and Farmer's Cheese Platter 9.75

Granola, Yogurt and Banana 4.50

Homemade Muffins, Pastries & H&H Bagels
Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffin 1.60

Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Muffin 1.60

Banana Crunch Muffin 1.60

Blueberry Muffin 1.60

Corn or Bran Muffin 1.50

Bagel with a Schmear 1.50

Challah or Toast .75

Hard Roll, Bagel or English Muffin 1.00

Ukrainian Poppy Seed Bread 3.00

Maple Raisin Sticky Bun 2.95

Danish or Turnovers 2.50

-
Homemade Soups
Bowl $4.25 / Cup $3.25.

Chicken Noodle
Mushroom Barley
Split Pea or Lentil
Cabbage
Vegetable
Soup of The Day
Veselka's 3 Bean Chili
Bowl $6.75 / Cup $4.95
Made with Fresh Ground Beef,
Black, White and Red Beans.
Served with Bread,
Chopped Onion On Request.
Melted Cheddar Add $0.75
Cold Appetizers
Vegetarian Pate 5.75

Lentil Salad 5.75

Chicken or Turkey Salad 5.95

Tuna Salad 5.95

Egg Salad 4.75

Spinach Salad 5.95

Salad Plates
Served with Potato Salad, Cole Slaw, Lettuce, Cucumber and Bell Pepper
Tuna Salad 9.25

Fresh Chicken Salad 9.25

White Meat Turkey Salad 9.25

Egg Salad 7.95

Salads
Vegetarian Pate Made with eggs, greens beans, onions, walnuts, garlic & spices. served with potato salad, coleslaw, lettuce, tomato, cucumber and bell pepper 9.25

Chef's Salad Julienne of turkey, ham and 3 cheeses on a bed of mixed greens with hard boiled egg, tomato, cucumber and bell pepper 9.95

Fresh Fruit & Farmer's Cheese Plate Market-fresh fruits served with low-fat farmer's cheese (available in season only) 9.75

Lentil Salad Cold marinated steamed lentils,pepper, onion, garluc and spices served on a bed of mixed greens with feta cheese, tomato cucumber and bell pepper 9.50

Spinach Salad Fresh spinach, suced raw mushrooms and carrots, ranch bacon, hard boiled eggs and feta cheese 9.50

With grilled chicken 11.95

Char-Broiled Beef, Turkey & Veggie Burgers
All Deluxe Plates served Wth French Fries, Home Fries or Potato Salad; Cole Slaw, Lettuce, Tomato & Pickle
Burger 6.25 deluxe 7.95

Cheeseburger 6.50 deluxe 8.25

Bacon Burger 7.25 deluxe 8.95

Bacon Cheeseburger 7.50 deluxe 9.25

Cold Sandwiches
Sliced Roasted Turkey Breast 7.25

Smoked Turkey Breast 7.25

Smoked Turkey Blt 7.95

Tuna Salad 6.95

White Meat Turkey Salad 6.95

Egg Salad 5.25

Smoked Salmon On a Bagel With tomato, onion and a schmear 9.25

Fresh Chicken Salad 6.95

Vegetarian Pate 6.50

Ham Null 6.95 (with cheese) 7.50

Cheese (your Choice) 4.25

Soup & Sandwich Special
Half Sandwich of Tune, Chicken or Turkey Salad and Cup of Soup 7.25

Hot Sandwiches
All Sandwiches Can Be Ordered Deluxe For Just $1.75. Choice of Cheese Includes: American, Cheddar, Muenster or Swiss
Ukrainian Kielbasa 8.25

Chicken Cutlet 7.95

Grilled marinated Chicken Breast 7.95

Grilled Cheese (your Choice) 5.00

Grilled Cheese With bacon or ham 6.75

Tuna Melt 7.50

One Egg 2.25

Two Eggs 2.75

Egg and Bacon 3.25

Egg, Bacon or Sausage and Cheese 3.75

Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato 6.75

Sandwich Add Ons
Sandwiches Made with Hard Roll, Bagel or English Muffin Add $0.50
Cheese (your Choice) .75

Tomato .75

Bacon, Sausage or Ham 2.75

Fried Egg .95

Our Special Combination Plates
Sorry, No Substitutions

Meat combination Plate cup of sou and salad, 1 meatless stuffed cabbage, kasha with mushroom, sauce, 1 cheese, 1 potato and 1 cabbage pierogi and sour cream 10.95

Deluxe Meat combination Plate cup of soup and salad, 1 meat stuffed cabbage, grilled kielbasa, 1 meat 1 potato and 1 cabbage pierogi and beer salad. 12.25

Our Specialties

Meatless or Meat Stuffed Cabbage your choice of either meatless (mushrooms, onions and rice) or meat (ground beef & pork, onions and rice) served with mushroom sauce or tomato sauce and any two side dishes 10.25

Boneless Breaded Chicken Cutlet fresh chicken breast breaded and fried. served with mashed poatoes and one side dish 11.25

Grilled marinated Chicken Breast fresh breast of chicken marinated in garlic, rosemary, white wine, olive oil and grilled. served with mashed potatoes and one side dish. 11.25

Macaroni and Cheese an american classic made with real vermont shrap cheddar cheese and elbow macaroni. served with a cup of soup and salad 9.95

or just the macaroni and cheese 8.95

Side Dishes $2.95
Fresh Carrots, Mixed Green Salad, Cup of Soup, Real Mashed Potatoes, Potatoe Pancake, French Fries, Home Fried Potatoes, Egg Noodles
Beverages - Coffee
Coffee or Brewed Decaf 1.25

Hot Chocolate 1.50

Espresso 2.25

Decaf Espresso 2.50

Cappuccino. 2.50

Iced Cappuccino or Decaf Cappuccino 2.75

Iced Coffee or Decaf 1.75

$1.50 Additional for Double Espresso
Beverages - Tea
Lipton or Decaf Lipton 1.25

Specialty Teas green tea, twinngs, earl grey or english breakfast 1.50

Herb Tea celestial seasonings, red zinger, chamomile or peppermint 1.50

Iced Tea 1.75

Teany Tea (peach, pomegranate, vanilla or green tea) 1.95

Beverages - Juices
Fresh Orange Jucce 2.75

Fresh Squeezed Carrot Juice 2.95

Fresh Carrot/orange Juice 2.95

Grapefruit Juice 1.95

Tomato Juice 1.95

Cranberry Juic 1.95

Fresh Lemonade 2.50

Fresh Raspberry Lemonade 2.50

Beverages - Fountain Drinks
Seltzer .50

Soft Drinks 1.75

Milk. 1.50

Chocolate Milk 1.75

Lime Rickey 1.95

Ben & Jerry's Milkshake 4.50

Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Soda 4.50

Egg Cream (Vanilla or Chocolate) 2.25

Homemade Desserts
Peanut Butter Pie 4.50

Cherry Crumb Pie 4.50

Valrhona Chocolatetart 4.50

Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake 4.50

Baked Chocolate Custard 4.25

Individual Apple Pie 4.00

Individual Banana Cream Pie 4.25

Homemade Rice Pudding 3.75

Apricot or Raspberry Bar 2.75

Cheese Cake 4.00

Carrot Cake with cream cheese forsting 4.00

Lemon Mini Bundt Cake 3.00

Rice Krispie Treats 2.25

Assorted Brownies (chocolate, chocolate pecan, walnut) 3.00

Chocolate Walnut Brownie with ben & jerry's vanilla ice cream 4.50

Dish of Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream 3.95

Cookies Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Black & White and Oatmeal Raisin 1.50

Apple Crumb Cake a traditional ukrainian cake with fresh apples and a streusal topping 3.50

Cupcakes chocolate, vanilla, banana chocolate chip 1.50

Any Dessert Can be served a la Mode for an Additional 1.95