Best Italian Restaurant in NYC (inspired by the "Italian Deli" thread)

PIPS!!
I think you are now dating yourself …
Lol- I’m right with ya

Jahns was also good for a couple of scoops of fresh ice cream

Dubrows on Kings Highway was always reliable for a hot cup of coffee in the wee hours of the morning after an all nighter
Before covid, I had finally tried the last Jahns, in Elmhurst . Very disappointing.

I was there when they opened Brennan and Carr.
1938, I believe Brennan and Carr opened.

I only know because an older friend of mine who loved to take me there, always told me they opened the same year that he was born, which meant that it was a very good year. (He was a real charcter and we were like brothers. We were from different generations, but the guy had depth, fearlessness and soul)

To start, he always ordered the fully submerged roast beef sandwich in beef broth. I enjoyed going with him because he had been going there for about 70 years and he would endlessly reminisce in a very Brooklyn way.

1938, I believe Brennan and Carr opened.

I only know because an older friend of mine who loved to take me there, always told me they opened the same year that he was born, which meant that it was a very good year. (He was a real charcter and we were like brothers. We were from different generations, but the guy had depth, fearlessness and soul)

To start, he always ordered the fully submerged roast beef sandwich in beef broth. I enjoyed going with him because he had been going there for about 70 years and he would endlessly reminisce in a very Brooklyn way.
Speaking of a submerged roast beef sandwich I recently stopped in Roll in Roast, another Brooklyn icon. ( there was enough salt in their melted cheese to cure a few sides of beef ), but whose complaining :)

Speaking of a submerged roast beef sandwich I recently stopped in Roll in Roast, another Brooklyn icon. ( there was enough salt in their melted cheese to cure a few sides of beef ), but whose complaining :)
Yeah, most restaurants serve salt as the main course. (LOL)

Roll and roast is extremely inferior to Brennan and Carr. John's deli on 86 and stillwell had amazing roast beef with mozz and a gravy that looked like old motor oil. Delicious.

King Umbertos has been my go-to for years! Always great food and service!
Been to Sals a few times. Pizza is good food just ok. And the food can be slow coming out!

I was at Matteo's the other day and who do I have as a waiter but Franco the former maitre d at King Umberto's. If you've eaten at the King you'd know him. Seems he had a falling out with Rosario.

Stella’s Ristorante- Floral Park

Crossing everyone off the list-Hands down, one of the best pieces of Chicken Parmigiana I’ve had in years, accompanied with excellent appetizers and a sauce that any Italian Grandma would be proud of.

A new ATF

Was at King Umberto's recently in Elmont, very disappointing. Food was borderline awful, service was excellent though.
They can't possibly keep up the quality with how big they have gotten with that outside patio. Not authentic in the least, its just a name that everyone associates with being good because it USE to be good. Sal's down the road on Meacham is better. Quality always takes a hit when you expand, good Italian food on the Island is like a unicorn....just don't exist.
Their pizza is much better than the dinner menu!