The Many Saints of Newark

It was billed as a young toni soprano story. It was all about dickie and his problems. Also they filled all the stories that were told throughout the series. Like when Johnny shot Livia through her hair. I did not enjoy the film or the actor who played a young toni

billyS

Reign of Terror
I had read a review Friday that it wasn't about a young Tony so I was prepared.

Some of the subtle things were cool like the way Vera Famiglia was switching between doing a dead on Liv and then speaking more like Carmela.
It was a nod to Tony being attracted to woman like his mother.

Cory Stoll was perfect as Uncle Jr. I saw it coming when he delivered the line "He doesn't have the makings of a varsity athlete". I remember Tony bitching about that in the show.

I was surprised Jr ordered the hit on Dickie. I remember there was a scene in the Sopranos where Tony told Chris who killed his father and let him get his revenge

Overall I'd be lying if I didn't say I was disappointed. Maybe two hours just wasn't enough time to flesh out the story.

I liked the guy that played Silvio.
He was spot on.
I just think with all the time between when the series ended to where they filmed The movie. They could’ve come up with a better story line

I just hope the new bond movie isn’t as disappointing

Chase had wanted to make a movie about the Newark race riots and used that era to write a Sopranos movie. There is obviously more to come. Barely anything about Johnny Boy which was odd. This would have worked better as a six episode miniseries.

The reviews have been far from flattering.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
I was pretty much exactly as disappointed as I expected to be. Perhaps we have gotten too used to superhero origins stories. Pretty much the entire movie was about the pettiness of all the characters in the series and referencing various stories about the past. But there was no shimmers of greatness anywhere.
Even when they mention Hollywood Dick was this great earner (I think they mentioned he even had a Cadillac dealership?) they don't show anything great. Tony's great break?
Stealing a Mr. Softer truck and giving kids free ice cream?

billyS

Reign of Terror
I was pretty much exactly as disappointed as I expected to be. Perhaps we have gotten too used to superhero origins stories. Pretty much the entire movie was about the pettiness of all the characters in the series and referencing various stories about the past. But there was no shimmers of greatness anywhere.
Even when they mention Hollywood Dick was this great earner (I think they mentioned he even had a Cadillac dealership?) they don't show anything great. Tony's great break?
Stealing a Mr. Softer truck and giving kids free ice cream?
no, we know Tony's big break was when they robbed the card game. But I think they were older then.

I thought the move was really good. Great introduction into the forefathers and younger characters that we got to know In the series. Great cinematography, slowly brought you too the edge with sub plots, a lot like the series did, then BAM! Blind sides you with a WTF moment. Characters were so well acted to resemble the one's in the series. It was a good explanation of the characters then. Tony's mom looked exactly like Carmella, and she was bat shit.

Uncle June that sneaky bastard!!

Ending was whatever, but it clearly will lead into either another movie OR maybe a series on HBO starting where the movie left off.

I’m with @NINE-LIVES I thought it was great. How could anyone expect a 2 hour movie to live up to a multi season series of one of the best shows of all time?
It did exactly what it was supposed to do and tell the story of before the show. As stated amazing cinematography, history timepiece of the area and society at the time, most of the acting was good and the violent scenes were great. There obviously will be another movie or some show on HBO from this. I also saw this in the theatre on the big screen which def alters my experience to those who watched it their bedroom or couch. I recommend it for fans of the Sopranos or all things Italian crime organization.

Spoiler Alert

There were so many ridiculous scenes in this movie that kills its credibility. Let’s start with Ray Liotta playing Dickie’s father and twin brother uncle. Wtf? Is this Days of our Life? Then Dickie’s goomada is his stepmother. Finally, Dickie kills the goomada for sleeping with Harold. Wait, what brought that to the plot? Why would she tell Dickie this? Just a terrible plot.

pokler

Power Bottom
I liked it but I can see how a viewer not very familiar with the nuances in Soprano world could be bored. Dickie was a bad mother fucker. I liked the Johnny boy on Sopranos better than this one. Silvio was great with the walk. The mannerisms of young Tony worth price of admission alone. No other actor on earth could of nailed it as well as his flesh and blood to whom it came natural .