Burner Phones

Yes. If you get a Google number you can call and text from it.
Short of LEO getting a supeana I'd don't think it is traceable back to you from a garden variety hoe.
Thank you. I went to sign up and it said it needs a verified number to forward calls. Can you still make calls without that? Part of the utility of google voice would be to avoid having providers calling my actual phone!!

billyS

Reign of Terror
Thank you. I went to sign up and it said it needs a verified number to forward calls. Can you still make calls without that? Part of the utility of google voice would be to avoid having providers calling my actual phone!!
They route it thru your real number so calls ring on your phone.
Bit when you use that number from your phone the caller ID on the other end shows the Goggle number

Not the most tech savvy. Just to be clear, if I set up a google voice account, I can make phone calls from it and it uses its own unique phone number so when I call providers, they can’t trace it back to me? And it allows texting as well? Appreciate the confirmation, there’s a really sexy provider I want to see today but don’t want to use my real phone!
Just do it from incognito mode [this way your web browser history is hidden from your Significant Other]. Set up a new gmail account, login to it through incognito mode and request a google voice number

Then use https://voice.google.com and login with the newly created gmail accout with the google voice number.

You can then text through the app, and calls will be through your cellphone [google voice calls your connected phone, and then it calls the girls number [it hides your in real life cell number by making it a 3-way call, only 2 people on the call]

Just do it from incognito mode [this way your web browser history is hidden from your Significant Other]. Set up a new gmail account, login to it through incognito mode and request a google voice number

Then use https://voice.google.com and login with the newly created gmail accout with the google voice number.

You can then text through the app, and calls will be through your cellphone [google voice calls your connected phone, and then it calls the girls number [it hides your in real life cell number by making it a 3-way call, only 2 people on the call]
Thank you! I’ve set it up and should hopefully have some new reviews shortly!

I don't have SO concerns these days and haven't been using a burner phone. Yes, that leaves the LE risk but I haven't yet heard of anyone being tracked down after the fact. Of course, that could change. When I'm on a fishing expedition, texting possible new places, I use Google Voice since I'd rather not spread my number around too much.

The other day, I was visiting a legit place in Bayside. I walked in the door and there was no one at the counter. After waiting several minutes, I finally called them. A woman promptly emerged from the back on her way to answer the call which was precisely what I had intended.

Here's the thing. While the phone was ringing, I heard my real name and number being announced. WTF? My number has always been unlisted. If I call someone and I'm not in their contacts, I should be identified as "Wireless Caller". It turned out that when I switched carriers over a year ago, this setting changed. I use Visible (Verizon's MVNO) and they don't default to "Wireless Caller". It took about five mins to fix this with customer service but still what a howler. Maybe it's time for Witness Protection.

So if you change carriers, double check how you come up on Caller ID. Or just go with a burner.

In lieu of a burner, what about installing an app on your regular phone such as “text free” or “what’s app”
I do not believe those apps will display called ID or personal information

Try 2ndLine. It is voice over internet protocol (VoIP) which is basically using your internet service to make calls without showing up as an actual call.

You would need to do research on it's traceability but it's a free alternative. Safest bet for mongering would probably still be a prepaid phone.

Just a general question regarding phones. I used to have an ATT iPhone and was easily able to search numbers online to find ads for providers reviewed here. Later, with my burner (tracphone) I also had success but now my Verizon iphone is useless at finding ads when doing a number search. I’ve tried different web browsers and make sure the parental control is off. Anyone else experiencing similar problems or have a solution? Thanks in advance
Nutty Out

Just a general question regarding phones. I used to have an ATT iPhone and was easily able to search numbers online to find ads for providers reviewed here. Later, with my burner (tracphone) I also had success but now my Verizon iphone is useless at finding ads when doing a number search. I’ve tried different web browsers and make sure the parental control is off. Anyone else experiencing similar problems or have a solution? Thanks in advance
Nutty Out
Most apple apps need to be updated after a few years in terms of software, all free. So try software update. I needed to update chrome and Firefox browsers.

I have my burner since 2007. Still working !
I got mine probably 10+ years ago. Was a closeout of a discontinued model and as I recall cost about 15 bucks. Minutes cost $20 every 3 months. All cash. It's a piece of crap tracfone that if I want to send a text I have to hit number keys e.g. if I want a "C" I hit the 2 key 3three times. It does not have GPS so if someone wants to locate it (and hence me) the best they can do is triangulate from multiple towers and locate it to within a couple of blocks when I have it on (good luck with that as I turn it on only when I need to make a call and have it turned off otherwise.)
I keep it hidden in plain sight from my SO by tossing it in a box of old retired cell phones that I had accumulated over the years that I will "someday" bring to the recycling center. It looks like some of the ancient cell phones piled in the box that I had in the 90's. There's even a couple of apple smartphones in the box (4's, 5's etc).

Should for some reason I need to get rid of it (and I can think of a couple that could cause me grief) it will end up tossed in the bay or if I can't get to such will be smashed and tossed into a dumpster.

I may be paranoid but that doesn't mean that they're not out to get me.

Ps. I wonder how many of the idiots who invaded the Capitol Building had smartphones with them while they were in the building?

billyS

Reign of Terror
I got mine probably 10+ years ago. Was a closeout of a discontinued model and as I recall cost about 15 bucks. Minutes cost $20 every 3 months. All cash. It's a piece of crap tracfone that if I want to send a text I have to hit number keys e.g. if I want a "C" I hit the 2 key 3three times. It does not have GPS so if someone wants to locate it (and hence me) the best they can do is triangulate from multiple towers and locate it to within a couple of blocks when I have it on (good luck with that as I turn it on only when I need to make a call and have it turned off otherwise.)
I keep it hidden in plain sight from my SO by tossing it in a box of old retired cell phones that I had accumulated over the years that I will "someday" bring to the recycling center. It looks like some of the ancient cell phones piled in the box that I had in the 90's. There's even a couple of apple smartphones in the box (4's, 5's etc).

Should for some reason I need to get rid of it (and I can think of a couple that could cause me grief) it will end up tossed in the bay or if I can't get to such will be smashed and tossed into a dumpster.

I may be paranoid but that doesn't mean that they're not out to get me.

Ps. I wonder how many of the idiots who invaded the Capitol Building had smartphones with them while they were in the building?
The one point I question is that I've heard even if the phone is off it still pings the cell towers. The only way to stop this is to take the battery out.

The one point I question is that I've heard even if the phone is off it still pings the cell towers. The only way to stop this is to take the battery out.
IDK if that is true. For example, find my phone will not work if the phone is turned off. If turned off, the best info you can get is the last GPS position just prior to when turned off.
And with the old burner I have, I really doubt it does anything when turned off. For example since I haven't been using it (COVID has put a pause on all my need for it) the battery is still fully charged (I just turned it on to check) and I haven't charged it in months - so not using battery energy for pinging anything, no less a tower.

IDK if that is true. For example, find my phone will not work if the phone is turned off. If turned off, the best info you can get is the last GPS position just prior to when turned off.
And with the old burner I have, I really doubt it does anything when turned off. For example since I haven't been using it (COVID has put a pause on all my need for it) the battery is still fully charged (I just turned it on to check) and I haven't charged it in months - so not using battery energy for pinging anything, no less a tower.
FYI In an emergency, authorities can have the manufacturer remotely turn your phone on. Happened to my cousin.

FYI In an emergency, authorities can have the manufacturer remotely turn your phone on. Happened to my cousin.
I doubt if that is even technologically possible with the model burner I have.
W/O compromising your cousin can you give some details such as phone model and why they wanted to remotely turn on his phone?
How did authorities know who manufactured your cousin's phone?
If the phone has a pin code or requires login, without a subpoena, authorities cannot access
I don't see how, even with a subpoena, it can be accessed as the manufacturers don't have back door in w/o a pin, and you can not be required to tell them the pin (5th amendment: self-incrimination). Of course they physically get the phone and try to crack the pin but after a couple of tries I thought the phone locks up.

Also

I doubt if that is even technologically possible with the model burner I have.
W/O compromising your cousin can you give some details such as phone model and why they wanted to remotely turn on his phone?
How did authorities know who manufactured your cousin's phone?
I don't see how, even with a subpoena, it can be accessed as the manufacturers don't have back door in w/o a pin, and you can not be required to tell them the pin (5th amendment: self-incrimination). Of course they physically get the phone and try to crack the pin but after a couple of tries I thought the phone locks up.

Also
Correct- I was mistaken...