Dr Reginald Archibald, The Rockefeller University Hospital, and the Child Victims Act of 2019

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/18/nyregion/dr-reginald-archibald-rockefeller-abuse.html

The hospital sent a letter last month to former patients of Dr. Archibald asking about their contact with him. Ten days later, on Oct. 5, it posted a statement online saying it had evidence of the doctor’s “inappropriate” behavior with some patients and that it first had learned of credible allegations against him in 2004. The letter went out to as many as 1,000 people, said a former patient who spoke with a hospital administrator.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...feller-reginald-archibald-report-sexual-abuse
“What’s most outrageous is they knew going back for decades about this man, and what they did is typical of large institutions: They protected the institution over the safety and welfare of the children,” Paul Mones, an attorney representing 200 of Archibald’s former patients, told BuzzFeed News.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/19/nyregion/child-victims-act-lawmakers.html
The bill, known as the Child Victims Act, passed nearly unanimously that day. As a result, victims of child sexual abuse have until they turn 55 years old to file civil lawsuits against their abusers; prosecutors can file felony criminal charges on behalf of victims until their 28th birthday. The law is not retroactive, but comes with a so-called look-back window that began on Wednesday and lasts for a year, allowing people of any age to file a civil suit, regardless of when the alleged abuse took place.

Slinky Bender

https://www.rockefeller.edu/about/board-governance/
Board of Trustees and Corporate Officers
Board of Trustees
  • William E. Ford Chair
  • Andreas C. Dracopoulos Vice Chair
  • Marlene Hess Vice Chair
  • Richard P. Lifton President
  • Robin Chemers Neustein Vice Chair
  • William A. Ackman
  • Miriam O. Adelson, M.D.
  • Allen R. Adler
  • Holly S. Andersen, M.D.
  • Robert M. Bass
  • Edward J. Benz, Jr., M.D.
  • Scott K. H. Bessent
  • Debra Black
  • Anna Chapman, M.D.
  • Caroline Rivers Curry
  • Katherine Farley
  • Michael D. Fascitelli
  • Peter A. Flaherty
  • Peter T. Grauer
  • Evan G. Greenberg
  • Michael B. Hoffman
  • Sandra J. Horbach
  • William I. Huyett, Jr.
  • Weslie R. Janeway
  • Joelle M. Kayden
  • Michael M. Kellen
  • Pablo G. Legorreta
  • Karen M. Levy
  • Evelyn G. Lipper, M.D.
  • D. Scott Mackesy
  • Diane Mathis, Ph.D.
  • Surya N. Mohapatra, Ph.D.
  • Jeremy Nathans, M.D., Ph.D.
  • Jonathan M. Nelson
  • Willard J. Overlock, Jr.
  • Michael J. Price
  • Lewis A. Sanders
  • John M. Shapiro
  • Robert K. Steel
  • Joan A. Steitz, Ph.D.
  • David Sze
  • Sandra Tamer
  • Lulu C. Wang
  • Huda Y. Zoghbi, M.D.
Life Trustees
  • Russell L. Carson, Chair Emeritus
  • Joseph L. Goldstein, M.D.
  • Richard E. Salomon
  • James H. Simons, Ph.D.
  • In memoriam
  • Brooke R. Astor
  • David Rockefeller
Trustees Emeriti
  • Ralph E. Ablon
  • Judith R. Berkowitz
  • David Botstein, Ph.D.
  • H. Rodgin Cohen, Esq.
  • Edward S. Cooper, M.D.
  • D. Ronald Daniel
  • Annette de la Renta
  • Anthony B. Evnin, Ph.D.
  • Alexander D. Forger, Esq.
  • Maurice R. Greenberg
  • David I. Hirsh, Ph.D.
  • Eric R. Kandel, M.D.
  • Nancy M. Kissinger
  • Henry R. Kravis
  • Thomas P. Maniatis, Ph.D.
  • David G. Nathan, M.D.
  • Marnie S. Pillsbury
  • Julian Robertson
  • Patricia P. Rosenwald
  • Sydney R. Shuman
  • Stephen Stamas
  • Frederick A. Terry, Jr., Esq.

Corporate Officers
  • Richard P. Lifton, M.D., Ph.D. President
  • Timothy O'Connor, Ph.D. Executive Vice President
  • Barry S. Coller, M.D. Vice President, Medical Affairs
  • Theresa Desmond Corporate Secretary
  • Amy C. Falls Vice President and Chief Investment Officer
  • Virginia Huffman Vice President for Human Resources
  • Maren E. Imhoff Senior Vice President, Development
  • James H. Lapple Vice President, Finance, and Treasurer
  • Robin Maloney Assistant Vice President, Finance, and Assistant Treasurer
  • Sidney Strickland, Ph.D. Dean and Vice President, Educational Affairs
  • Michael W. Young, Ph.D. Vice President for Academic Affairs
The Rockefeller University
1230 York Avenue
New York, NY 10065
212-327-8000

The Rockefeller University

Conflict of Interest in Research

I don't trust any grown man who wants to be near children in any capacity. As a teacher, a coach, whatever. If he doesn't show genuine disdain and reluctance to be there, I dont trust him. Obviously many women are child predators, but at a much lower rate.

Judge , Billy. As a 20 year scout leader and soccer coach years ago those certainly have to be the most ridiculous statements I have heard in years. Do you guys have children????? Who the fuck would you consider to be there leaders and or coaches?

billyS

Reign of Terror
Judge , Billy. As a 20 year scout leader and soccer coach years ago those certainly have to be the most ridiculous statements I have heard in years. Do you guys have children????? Who the fuck would you consider to be there leaders and or coaches?
Reread my comment. It was only directed at male grammar school teachers. Yes I have kids and I was very involved in coaching. But I was there because I loved coaching and my kids were playing. Once they aged out and moved on so did I.

They aren't ridiculous at all. Perfectly reasonable.
And whether you agree or not, there's no denying groups that hold positions of power over children are hotbeds of pedophilic corruption.

Reread my comment. It was only directed at male grammar school teachers. Yes I have kids and I was very involved in coaching. But I was there because I loved coaching and my kids were playing. Once they aged out and moved on so did I.
Exactly. All I'm saying is that a man who HAPPILY takes on that role, and loves being around children is suspicious. I remember plenty of male teachers and coaches who very obviously hated us and resented the job.

Some professional coaches / managers worked their way up from pee wee leagues, to junior high, then high school to college and then finally professional. Should we be suspicious of them?

Some professional coaches / managers worked their way up from pee wee leagues, to junior high, then high school to college and then finally professional. Should we be suspicious of them?
If you have kids and you're not suspicious of every person they spend time with, I dont know what to say to you.

If you have kids and you're not suspicious of every person they spend time with, I dont know what to say to you.
There is a big difference between being suspicious and that of performing the equivalent of due diligence about the males such as coaches, pediatricians, teachers, scout leaders etc., that deal with your kids. Being suspicious seems to me to be assuming that every guy is a child pervert unless proven otherwise whereas verifying good practice with dealing with kids is checking to insure that the professionals involved have taken necessary steps to eliminate situations or an environment where if a person was an abuser the opportunity for abuse would exist.

Slinky Bender

How would you feel about anyone associated with (and especially part of the management of) institution where this went on for decades and no one did anything about it even though they had knowledge of its existence?

Last edited:
How would you feel about anyone associated with (and especially part of the management of) institution where this went on for decades and no one did anything about it even though they had knowledge of its existence?
The same way I feel about the higher ups in the Church (I guess you would call them management) and also the fellow priests who knew about abuse and did nothing — their behavior is not at the level of the abuser but certainly were complicit IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator: