The Deuce

They kind of downplay that buildings all across 42nd St which had legitimate businesses and people took their lives in their hands for decades got cheated out of their rightful payout when Empire State Development forced them out so politically connected developers could get the properties at bargain basement prices.
When and what chanel is it on ? Thanks

Too many story lines limited the ability for deeper plots. I had a hard team keeping up with some of the story lines.

I watched all three seasons. Can someone tell me who Mike was who died in the cabin? Did he work at the bar? Why was he sick?

Also, the couple who got married. I know she was a hooker but was he the neighbor? Waste of time and had nothing to do with the main plot.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Too many story lines limited the ability for deeper plots. I had a hard team keeping up with some of the story lines.

I watched all three seasons. Can someone tell me who Mike was who died in the cabin? Did he work at the bar? Why was he sick?

Also, the couple who got married. I know she was a hooker but was he the neighbor? Waste of time and had nothing to do with the main plot.
Mike was the bouncer at the High Hat. I'm guessing AIDs and he didn't want the shame of people knowing he had what was considered a gay disease at the time.
Yes on the other question. He was the gay neighbor.
Agreed too many subplots and most of them weren't interesting to me.
The very end, although most might think it was hoaky, I liked it, it was a fun way to end a series.

They foreshadowed the way they'd end it in the diner scene, when Vincent talks to the chef, so it wasnt surprising. Just felt rushed, and corny. And poorly planned. They made it seem like he was dying as he walked through Times Square, seeing all the dead people from his past. The walking down the subway stairs, being taken to Hell by his twin, who was arguably a worse person than he was. Was he about to have a heart attack? A stroke? Who knows, the way they shot it.

People rarely change, so there really wasnt much to wrap up in terms of plotlines, and that was the point of the Bronx scene. For both the hookers and Ralph Maccio.

Anyway, Franco looked like Charles Bronson, so that was okay.

Mike was the bouncer at the High Hat. I'm guessing AIDs and he didn't want the shame of people knowing he had what was considered a gay disease at the time.
Yes on the other question. He was the gay neighbor.
Agreed too many subplots and most of them weren't interesting to me.
The very end, although most might think it was hoaky, I liked it, it was a fun way to end a series.
Well, Mike was down low. He was fucking that tranny in the 2nd season.

What a great show! As someone who grew up in the city in the late 70s and early 80s, this show was spot on with the street hustle and drug scene on a daily basis. I cant say how the clubs and bars were run as i was too young to get into any of them at that time, but I do recall seeing tons of street walkers on the stroll at any given time back then. Some of them were smoming hot and some of them were flat out busted, but they were always friendly and looking for a date. Unlike todays indoor providers who give a shit attitude and even shittier service. I'm not gonna discuss the entire series but I thought it was brilliant, especially the series finale. When old Vince takes a stroll down 42nd into TS and sees everyone from thunder thighs to Rudy, it was a perfect ending looking back on his former life, in a city where anything and everything went. Then to watch Abby walk by showing she changed with the times and just missed vince not a minute earlier was even better. The writers are notjing short of phenominal on this show and I only wish they stretched it out for a few more seasons but I'm happy to have seen the 3 seasons in any event.

billyS

Reign of Terror
What a great show! As someone who grew up in the city in the late 70s and early 80s, this show was spot on with the street hustle and drug scene on a daily basis. I cant say how the clubs and bars were run as i was too young to get into any of them at that time, but I do recall seeing tons of street walkers on the stroll at any given time back then. Some of them were smoming hot and some of them were flat out busted, but they were always friendly and looking for a date. Unlike todays indoor providers who give a shit attitude and even shittier service. I'm not gonna discuss the entire series but I thought it was brilliant, especially the series finale. When old Vince takes a stroll down 42nd into TS and sees everyone from thunder thighs to Rudy, it was a perfect ending looking back on his former life, in a city where anything and everything went. Then to watch Abby walk by showing she changed with the times and just missed vince not a minute earlier was even better. The writers are notjing short of phenominal on this show and I only wish they stretched it out for a few more seasons but I'm happy to have seen the 3 seasons in any event.
Already voiced my criticism of season 3 but I totally agree with your take on this depiction of the 70's era Deuce.
My first two or three experiences with pay for play occurred there. There is a thread buried here on UG somewhere, where guys detailed their first experience and I remember I detailed two from the Deuce.
Of course the very first one I got sort of taken as a raw baby faced teenager.